A fair priced router with good range NO BELKIN

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Streetpugilist, May 12, 2007.

1. Streetpugilist macrumors newbie

Well the title explains itself I need someone to suggest a good router for a fair price (preferably below 100$). I have done some search and the only one I saw was a 140$ one. Any suggestions or links are greatly appreciated

2. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

linksys i paid 89 for mine like a year ago n i love it

3. Mr.Texor macrumors regular

It really depends on what kind of "router" you want.. but usually, I like linksys. I've had good experiences with linksys hardware. as everything .. your mileage may vary, as I know other people that hate linksys :)

<---------------- net admin.. if that means anything :(

4. Mr.Texor macrumors regular

5. Streetpugilist thread starter macrumors newbie

Well do all linksys work with macs? Or just ones that say they do

6. cube macrumors G5

No, I haven't tried yet because I bought my router before I knew about these third party firmwares.
    I still haven't changed it because it's still fast enough but the firewall is a toy. As I only have one computer connected to the network I'm using a software firewall, but to get something else hooked up, I was thinking about buying a Cisco router or a dedicated firewall, but then I found these alternatives which would be much cheaper and also serious.

7. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Personally I wouldn't touch Linksys with a 10Ft Poll..... :) Im a Netgear fan my-self.

8. Streetpugilist thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I have a netgear usb network adapter in my PC that im trying to get the internet to (the mac is the one with the internet) and i figure netgear would be better since the other is too, now they have an 80$ netgear router in best buy, will it work for mac anywho even if it doesnt say mac on it?

9. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Should work, is this the one your refering to? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...CategoryId=pcmcat25300050001&id=1108125361676 ? It says Compatible with PC and Mac.

10. Streetpugilist thread starter macrumors newbie

11. Mr.Texor macrumors regular

Almost all routers use a little embedded web server for configuration. So, you just only need safari or your browser of preference to configure it.

They still say windows, blah blah blah, because they recommend that everyone installs some software on their computers. I really really hate that software. why would I want to install it on other coputers? very stupid imo..

so.. in short, most routers can be configured to a browser and that's all you need.

12. cube macrumors G5

You just have to look that the router has web browser based administration, and that the firmware updates are done with tftp or something like that.
    Go to the manufacturer's site and read the manuals first. If they only show you how to set up with some specific Windows program, don't buy it.

And here you have the recommendations for DD-WRT:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

13. Mr.Texor macrumors regular

I have the WRT54G v2 and dd-wrt is awesome... I love it :)

14. cube macrumors G5

15. cube macrumors G5