A Fantastic 5,000 miles...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Macshroomer, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

So I have been on the road doing my book project and have been all over the North and Western part of the country. I have been in the high country of Tuolumne Meadows and in lots of places that have poor reception and in *every* single case, the IP4 has been equal to if not better than other iPhone users or verizon users reception and ability to web browse.

I have had not one dropped call, even with one bar. This phone seems to lock on a signal and not let go. I have even produced a short film of wildlife in Glacier National Park all on this little phone. Our film crews using Red series video equipment was stunned at the quality, especially when a wolverine came bounding into a scene of Big Horn Sheep, all edited on the phone.

Overall, I am 100% satisfied with this phone, use it with a bumper, simple soft rubber back case and will use the Otterbox Defender when I pick it up from home in a few weeks when we take a break.

In the real world, this thing just rocks!

2. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

Finally, a breathe of fresh air amongst all the verizon, complaints and naked vs not naked iPhone threads! I've also enjoyed mine from the beginning! Complaint free!

3. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

i travel the country and world, frequently, but its by air, and when im at my destinations im typically on foot. i usually dont have problems when im out of town, but im on foot... that said, i feel like the true test is driving your car significant distances and 'maintaining a call'...

i will have to give some kudos to the iP4 as well. my commute to work, is about 50 miles, up the highway... with my iphone 3G, and 3GS i would, without fail, ALWAYS drop a call during my commute. with the iPhone 4*, i have yet to drop a call start to finish during my commute. its a breath of fresh air.

* the phones got a case on it ;)

4. Macshroomer thread starter macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

I love the looks I get in Starbucks when I use my bluetooth keyboard with the phone for longer blog entries, no computer in sight, just the keyboard and phone, LOL!

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'm thinking of buying one of those keyboards for my wife. She's taking some college classes this fall and most of it involves workbooks with problems in the books you write in. So she'll be using pencils and books, mostly.

Not much room to do all that AND have a laptop out on the table, but there are some times you just want to type out some notes notes. I was thinking the little apple keyboard and her phone might be the perfect pair. We already have Awesomenote which syncs back to Google Docs over the air.

Glad to hear the hardware setup is sound.

6. DanggxAmanda macrumors regular

DanggxAmanda

Nice uplifting thread instead of those "iphone 4 problem" threads. Somehow it makes me want to listen to Holiday Road :)

7. Macshroomer thread starter macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

Thanks for the thumbs up. Tech is always going to be a place of lots of inquiry, criticism so it stands to reason that things may look worse than they appear in totality. If you read back at some of my early ip4 posts, I was pretty concerned like many of us were about major flaws.

But you know, it all seems to be fine, reception, battery life, etc. When a hiking partner forgot her headlamp, I turned my phone to airport mode and handed it to her with the flashlight app on and it was really helpful for the dark parts of the hike out.

And yes, the Bluetooth keyboard combo is pretty slick although I might make some kind of stand for the phone when using the keyboard.

I specifically bought a 3G in 08 for this project because I was tired of hunting for wifi spot for my laptop. The 3G was great but the 4 is vastly better in every way.

So hopefully if you are having issues, they get resolved and you can go on and enjoy the phone as Apple designed to be used.

8. Roadking macrumors 6502

9. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Yup, same here. I took a trip upstate, PA., and I never once lost reception, even as high up in the mountains as we were. And there were only two spots where my iP4 switched over to an EDGE connection, from 3G.

10. Macshroomer thread starter macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

Apple Bluetooth keyboard.

11. bossxii macrumors 68000

Any chance you posted the video on Youtube or your blog? Would enjoy checking out how it performed, and always enjoy Yellowstone footage.

Thanks.