Resolved A FAT sorting utility for OS X..?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Thrash911, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Thrash911, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014

Thrash911 macrumors 6502

Thrash911

Hello people,

I need to sort files on a FAT drive (SD card). But I can't find an app that can do this on OS X.

This is a Windows app: http://www.anerty.net/software/file/DriveSort/?lang=en

Is there anything like this on OS X? I don't want anything I have to compile/build/make, since I think that is confusing as hell.. :eek: I found YAFS for mac, but that required a library I could not find for OS X. :mad:

I prefer a GUI app, but I am not allergic to Terminal.. Is there anything like this for OS X? I'm on 10.9.2, Maverick.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Did you look at PathFinder

That may do what you're looking for.

3. Thrash911 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thrash911

Sadly, no. But thanks for the suggestion. ;)

4. meme1255 macrumors 6502

Touch command changes timestamp. How'd you like to sort you files? Alphabetically? Simply combine touch, ls and sort commands depending on your desired result :)

How would you like to sort your files?

5. Thrash911 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thrash911

Unfortunately, that will not work. The files will have to be rearranged on the SD card, in order for it to work. I use the card on a "stupid" system, that reads the card "raw", and displays the files in the order it was written to the card.

But thanks. ;)

6. meme1255 macrumors 6502

It WILL work ;) As touch creates new timestamp (== date written), you can combine it with other commands in order to get your desired sorting :)

7. Thrash911 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thrash911

Of all (few..) I have found so far for OS X, this one looks most promising, I think:

http://fatsort.sourceforge.net

Latest version is v1.2.355. But it will have to be compiled, by using make and install. I know nothing about this. I did try to run "make install" from terminal, but I got something like "man/fatsort.1: No such file or directory". This is where my "knowledge" stops.. :(

I would be eternally grateful, if someone in here who knows how, could guide me through this process, so I can get a binary. I have Xcode installed, so I should have the tools necessary.

----------

Okay. What the hell, I'll give it a whirl.. :) I want EVERYTHING sorted alphabetically. There are several directories and sub directories. So.. What should I do? :)

8. Thrash911 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thrash911

UPDATE:

I finally managed to compile and install it. There were two makefiles - I used the wrong one. It was the makefile in the 'src' subfolder I was supposed to use. And now I have successfully managed to sort the files on my FAT32 SD card. Now the files show up on the Amiga :)p) in correct alphabetical order. Yay!

It pays to be persistent. I learned something today. :) Thanks to everybody who tried to help me. Much appreciated!

9. d0nK macrumors 6502

Cheers for this info.
    Exactly what I needed to sort the files on my HxC floppy emulator SD card.

I found this site helpful for installing and usage.

I also use CleanEject which delete's all the .spotlight, .trashes files, etc on eject.

I'm not affiliated with any of these sites that I've linked to btw.