A Few Adobe and Font Related Questions...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by agentphish, Nov 18, 2007.

1. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

I will start out apologizing in advance for the long message, but I'm seeking help anywhere I can.

I am unable to get auto-activation to work w/ CS3 when I tried out FontBook, is there any special trick to it?

There are a couple of Fonts like Helvetica Neue and GillSans that apple has now included their own versions of with Leopard...I have postscript versions of these fonts that include more styles of them than apple has in their built in versions, though I can not seem to disable the built in ones because they are "system fonts", thus encountering conflicts. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could try to get around this and use my postscript fonts instead?

I have been unable to use Adobe PDF 8.0 as a printer in Leopard. The printer queue icon shows up when I try to print the document to PDF, but it never creates the PDF. If you open the queue, it says it's trying the normal first step of "Opening Distiller" for about 10-15 seconds, and then it just flips over to "Printer Paused" and that's it. I have had to use the old workaround method of saving as a .ps file and then dropping the file into Distiller to create the PDF, not a huge deal, but a pain none the less...any suggestions here?

Thanks!

2. achtung! macrumors regular

have you ever consider in using linotype fontexplorer instead of fontbook? i've got sick of fontbook.
    try fontexplorer, you might like it and might solve those font probs.

the printer prob, i am sorry but i can't help you.:(

take care :)

3. agentphish thread starter macrumors 65816

agentphish

Yes, actually i should have mentioned I am using Font Explorer X as I couldn't get auto activation to work with FontBook, even though this a new thing apple supposedly added to FontBook now to make it better.

4. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

I don't know if I'm answering your question correctly but I have been "printing" my docs to PDF by clicking print and then selecting save as PDF from the drop-down menu in the bottom left corner of the print dialog box.

5. agentphish thread starter macrumors 65816

agentphish

I actually haven't tried that, i've been using the same button but hitting save as postscript file and then running through distiller to be sure that i get the result I'm looking for.

I did not used to have to do this at all, and could just use the standard print command. I still do this daily on a work machine that runs Tiger.

I had hoped maybe the Acrobat 8.1.1 update that came out would fix this issue, but i guess not.

6. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

I was using the same method as you are/were with Tiger and never had problems either, but I've put off reinstalling Acrobat 8 with Leopard, and so far have just been using the native OSX pdf options which seem much improved in Leopard and Preview. My pdf needs are quite limited though. I haven't used the save as pdf command for much besides MS Word docs, but notice that when printing web pages this way I end up with mixed results.