A few Airport Express questions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by calviin, Aug 5, 2011.

1. calviin macrumors regular

So far, I've done this. While this works for external drives, I was wondering if I could push it another step and move everything into an external cloud. Thus, the Airport Extreme. Would this same trick work? But since an Extreme is $180 or so, I'm going to get an Express first, which should allow me to expand my wifi range in my house in the future, when I do get an Extreme. Right? Basically, I'm asking if I can get an Express now to act as a standard router and get an Extreme in the future for iTunes. Thanks!

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

I wouldn't recommend an Express as a primary router due to the fact that it doesn't have any LAN ports. If you want any wired devices to join your network, you'll need a more full-featured router.

Is there any particular reason you're looking to get an Apple brand router? I'd suggest a Linksys router for now, and when you want to move your iTunes library to your network you can get a NAS.

3. calviin thread starter macrumors regular

I bought a Cisco E4200 but it can't read the USB drive since it only reads FAT32 drives. I can't think of a situation where I will ever need more ethernet cables. If I get an Express now, it'll allow me to bridge later more easily with the Extreme. Or do you have other suggestions that could work?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not true.
    http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...e-wireless-n-router-reviewed?showall=&start=1
    http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...erformance-wireless-n-router-reviewed?start=2

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

Honestly I'd suggest getting a NAS and a wireless repeater. You'll get better transfer rates with a NAS, and if you get just an enclosure you can use the HDD you already have in there.

I have my iTunes library on a DNS-323 and it works perfectly.

Edit: But to answer your original question, yes it's possible.

6. calviin thread starter macrumors regular

Oh huh. Interesting. I tried setting up the external drive yesterday but it would work unless I put in a 8 gb thumb drive in the FAT format. I did share the whole partition and I couldn't find it. Any solutions?