A few AppleCare Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hls811, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

Hls811

I have a 2.5Ghz "old" MacBook Pro, in the past I've always upgraded models when the new ones came out (selling old ones first) but I'm not too thrilled with the new version so I'm thinking that I'll be able to hold onto mine for a while... Its the first time I think I'd benefit from the security AppleCare covers and am considering purchasing it.

1) Its 3 years from the date or MBP purchase, right? So even if I want until the day before the standard warranty expires I'm not gaining anything?

2) Does AppleCare make it easier to get a full system replacement vs. having to send your laptop out for repairs (or wait for a part?) For example, lets say my Video goes out tomorrow (I have the 8600) and I just have the standard warranty, would they repair mine and leave me with a PC for a few days, whereas if I had AppleCare they'd just hand me a replacement?

3) In the past I'd get a call from Apple about 6 weeks before the warranty was set to expire and they'd try and sell me AppleCare over the phone - pretty much in all cases the laptop they were calling about had already been sold so I didn't have to talk with them much.. Do they offer any better deals when they call? Do they have flexibility to lower the price or is it the set rate I'd get in the store?

4) And finally, whats the best rate for AppleCare from 3rd parties? I was checking ebay last night and it looks like its about $220 (give or take a few dollars depending on the seller).. Has anyone gotten a good deal elsewhere?

Thanks in advance.. I know most of the threads here are about the new MBP so hopefully this won't get lost!

2. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I have never purchased Apple Care since most problems will arise with the first year. The one time a problem happened, it was the logic board that many people had with the PB Aluminum and Apple took care of it. Now that I have the newer MBP I will wait until the initial warranty is nearly up. Why buy it up front if you don't need it yet? BTW, Apple replaced that PB because of multiple issues. I'd say that was stellar Customer Service:D

3. dinaluvsApple macrumors regular

im not gonna purchase apple care because my creditcard gives me an additional year and i never keep computers past 2 years.

4. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

1. yes, applecare extended date is based on your computer's purchase date. Not the purchase of AppleCare. unless you dont have the money or want just 90 days of phone support, you can wait, but its not going to lengthen the warranty past 3 years.

2. You already get 1 year of applecare. AppleCare extension is no different. So its not any "easier" to get a replacement computer. It's the same service but extended.

3. I havent bought applecare over the phone, but i've had them call me before. I doubt they will give you a discount. I told the guy i had no money to spend on applecare (for my ipod) and instead of a discount he told me about the "bill me later" thing. I said no.

4. If you're not a college student, the next best place is ebay.

5. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I got the Applecare for my MPB, $199 on eBay. All you need is the activation code, so if you can save shipping by just getting the code, go for it.

6. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

In the back room, AppleCare and ProCare notebooks are on the top of the stack.

7. !eon macrumors newbie

Does the AppleCare listed in Ebay work on the newly updated Macbook Pro? I'm thinking of getting one for my new Macbook Pro? Thanks.