A few Battery related Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ' r i S e n, May 15, 2011.

1. ' r i S e n macrumors regular

I read some of the points on this thread and I noticed the bit about calibrating your battery as soon as you get your laptop, and I was wondering if it was too late for me to do so? I would assume not but I am interested in being able to always have an accurate reading of my battery.

Is there a way to know if my battery is built-in or removable without opening the laptop? I have a late 2010 13'' model.

I also read in that thread that it was recommended to leave my laptop plugged in to a power source for a couple days and then remove it and let the battery run. I usually just charge it to 100% (or so) and let it run low (10-20%) and then charge it up whether it's either on, sleeping, or shut down, and repeat that process. Is that not proper? EDIT: Just reread that bit, and I missed the "IF you leave your laptop plugged in for 2 or 3 days..." Sorry about that, but I would still like to know if my procedure is reasonable or "correct," please.

Lastly, if I could get some opinions on its current state. I have had my MacBook pro for about four and a half months now and I have 113 cycles and I usually get an average of about 10 hours on a single charge. Is this reasonable, considering only owning it for that short amount of time?

Sorry for the length and amount of questions, but Thank You to all responses.

2. simsaladimbamba

You are not too late.

It is built in, since the non-user-replaceable battery is in MBPs since June of 2009 (the 17" MBP had a non-user-replaceable battery since January 2009)

Read the FAQ you linked to again. No need to constantly discharge the battery.

Reasonable, as the 2010 13" MBP has been advertised with 10 hours of battery usage on a single battery charge.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Calibrating can be done whenever, you don't have to do it right after you get it.

Your battery is built in and is not user serviceable.

You can do it the way you do, but if you're near the power source most of the time, you can very well just leave it plugged in for a couple days, with no ill effects. What you're doing just adds extra cycles to the battery since it is constantly charging or discharging. I have had my computer 2 full years and have only put 205 cycles on it, and the battery is at about 95% health, which is good.

10 hours is pretty impressive. I have never gotten the suggested time for my computer, and yours was originally marketed as 10 hours, but later changed to 7 or so with new testing methods, so 10 hours is very good.

4. ' r i S e n thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks to both of your for your replies.

I shall calibrate my battery soon and I honestly prefer that my battery is built-in, the ability to change it myself would tempt me in the future and most likely cause me to screw something up.

Sometimes I leave it plugged in, rarely actually, but if it's not harmful then I will be less hesitant about doing so in the future. Sometimes my battery icon says 12 or even 13 hours and change in the menu bar - I'm not sure if that's because I haven't calibrated it yet, though.

Thanks again for your responses fellas. ^^