A few beginner questions!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by 11blue, Mar 2, 2008.

1. 11blue macrumors member

OK, a few questions:

1. Where is Photobooth?

Well, thats all I have for now. More later!

2. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

in /Applications

Why don't you use spotlight to find it?

3. 11blue thread starter macrumors member

4. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

Look at the top right of your screen and there should be a Q-like icon.

Click it, and up comes a search box for you to find almost anything! :)

5. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Double click "Macintosh HD" on the desktop in the top right hand side. Then, on the left side of the window that will open select "Applications" and over there, scroll until you reach Photobooth.

EDIT: Or as karenflower suggests, just Spotlight it.

6. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

7. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Spotlight is allot faster in finding things than what I was ever used to with Windows.

I wanted to search for an email and found it within 2 seconds in spotlight. Try searching for emails in Outlook.

8. Kalafut macrumors regular

Kalafut

its ok i had the same question when i got my macbook, only i didn't know it was called photobooth, i just wanted the program that took picture on my isight. anyways lolz and use spotlight.

9. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

If you want a really easy way to launch applications you should get quicksilver. You can just type in the app's name it hit enter and it opens. Works faster as an app launcher than spotlight.

10. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

This is exactly why the OP should start with the applications folder and learn to use the Finder first rather than Spotlight. Spotlight is not for the first time Mac user unless he knows what's on his computer. If you don't know the name to search for Spotlight is useless except for the calculator/dictionary functionality.
    I'm not hating on Spotlight, I live and breath by it but you have to know the apps's names before searching through Spotlight.

11. 11blue thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I'm looking around. Next, how do i get iChat to work with AIM? The aim 4.7 client I found sucks.

12. rogair macrumors member

Where did you buy your computer? I'm shocked the sales person didn't help you out with these simple questions. Or at least provide you with some tips to get you rolling.

13. mbrydone macrumors regular

In your apps folder...it should also be by the trashcan on the dock...

14. macrockbuddy macrumors member

I'm new to macs too. Its good to know there's a place where everyone's so helpful. I'm still waiting for my MB tho

15. CisternaChyli macrumors member

im a first time mac user as well...getting my MBP this week :D..cant wait to join the revolution :D

16. macrockbuddy macrumors member

New to macs and went straight to the Pro, bold statement. Its amazing to see so many newbs. Makes me think Apple's taking over.

17. lfc200 macrumors member

Good to see so many new users. The apple website has a good tutorial on switching over to mac. There are also plenty more on the internet if you google it.

18. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

That is pretty much the best advice. Go the Apple site. Lots of tutorials that help draw a clearer picture of how the operating system works.

When I got my first Mac, I fumbled around for a while. Then I spent about 2 hours going through the tutorials. After that, smooth sailing.

19. CisternaChyli macrumors member

hehehe...ive been without a laptop since december now...i was begining to just get fed up with windows and ive been dying to switch since the core2duo MBPs came out last year...i would have switched back when the SR's came out but my old laptop was still alive :(

20. chaoticbear macrumors 6502

That's funny that you ask that, because that was the first thing I did when I got my MB. I'm a first-time mac user too, but my thought process was "Hmm, here's a picture of the HD! ::double click:: Aha, Photobooth is probably an Application! Oh there it is!"

I don't really think they're different enough from a PC for most of these things to be hard to figure out, but I also grew up in a house with a computer that the parents were afraid to touch, so I had to figure everything out on my own anyway. I'm not really afraid to click things because I know it's all fixable (thus my thread a few days ago where I basically just tried every combination of Fkeys and control/apple, etc)