A few bootcamp questions...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wakerider017, Dec 16, 2007.

1. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

What is the point of bootcamp?

Can't you just setup a new partition in disk utility?

How do I get Mac, XP, and Linux Ubuntu all to run on the same hard drive?

I have tried adding another partition when I had Mac and XP installed on the same drive, and it said I would possibly loose XP by doing this...

Any help?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Boot Camp is a combination of a simple partitioning utility and a set of Windows drivers for Mac hardware...OnMac.net's project (the real creators of Boot Camp) lets you triple boot...

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

The real creators of Boot Camp?

Granted they hacked together a solution that enabled it before Apple released theirs but Apple in all honesty would have been working on it before they came about.

Perhaps Boot camp would've been a lot further developed if they hadn't forced apple in releasing an official (albeit) beta product before it was ready.

It is possible to triple boot, not that I see the point, with as psychofreak pointed out the most popular solution being detailed by OnMac

4. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

How come you don't see the point? 3 DIFFERENT operating systems...

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I understand but I personally do not see the need to have 3 different operating systems.

What do you plan on doing with all three that you need to be able to boot natively into them?

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I honestly believe Boot Camp would not have existed without OnMac, at least as early as it did, otherwise Apple would have introduced it with the Intel Macs...I think Apple released the beta at the right stage of development, not way too early...

7. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Well, with Linux and Xp you can't run them on an external (without having to do a lot of messing around).

So isn't the only way to run them natively.

I use Mac as my main OS, Gotta have XP to run certain apps and play games and Linux just for goofing around.

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I agree it wouldn't have existed as early as it did hence my post.

I believe boot camp was always going to be released and due to the actions of OnMac they were forced to bodge it out early. After all we are missing perhaps the single greatest feature bot camp could have, fast resume.

It is not to much messing around for Linux.

If you just want to goof around why do you need to boot into it you could use something like Parallels/VMware/Q and that way you can do your normal OS X stuff at the same time.

9. TheStu macrumors 65816

I triple booted for a while, but it was a real chore for me to get it up and running, and then, I hardly ever booted into Linux. So, i killed that partition off and installed Ubuntu in a VM, which lets me do everything but Beryl apparently. I left XP installed natively for gaming, and the occasional hiccup with VMWare, but really, not even that has to be native.