A Few Choices

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Intel Inside, May 31, 2009.

1. Intel Inside macrumors 6502

Hi everyone,

I have my birthday coming up and I've decide that i want a notebook/netbook. I already have my iMac for all my arty illustrator stuff so i don't really need it for heavy lifting.

Our family travels around a lot and i need it for word processing (homework on the go) and the Interweb.

I've picked a few machines and i want a second opinion on what i should get. They are:

-White Macbook
    -2.0 Unibook
    -Dell mini 10v
    -Compaq mini
    -HP dv2

So whats best for me? Feedback

2. Doju macrumors 68000

If you want the most cost efficient, but not necessarily the best, go for the white MacBook.

But I'd highly recommend paying a bit more for the 2.0 unibody MB. Multi-touch, much better structure, sturdier, thinner, lighter, backlit keyboard, etc. Definitely worth it if you're not on a super budget.

Definitely don't go with the Windows garbage if you want everything to work together nicely. Plus... come on, it's Windows. Especially no to the netbook, and Compaqs are horrible (my laptop before my MacBook). Never re-enter the Windows world after being Appled.

3. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

yeah don't get a windows machine cuz they all suck. Now that I got the sarcasm out of the way.

It seems you have a range of computers on your list.

The last laptop purchase I made I prioritized the purchase this way;

most I wanted to spend (not every computer at the same price has the same hardware)
    Size of the screen (though a small screen means ultimate portability usage for documents expecially for kids is important)
    type of disk drive (for most writable dvd is fine, I went with blu-ray)
    warranty (dell's sccidental complete care is a winner in my book, it covers everything but its $250+)

Windows machines, you may get more for less. If the point of antivirus and malware costing hundreds there are plenty of free anitvirus and malware software readily available, if you feel you need it.
    If you are looking at windows based laptop take a look at www.gotapex.com they list some fantastic deals.

Mac - the white book is a nice machine. If it came in a 15" version I would have one in the house. Look for the back to school promo at apple.com which I think any student is eligible for. Don't forget about looking a the apple refurb store for some additional savings as well. I think Macmall has some decently priced packages.

4. JDee macrumors 6502a

You don't actually get a backlit keyboard on the 2.0GHz model of the MacBook.

@OP - I would reccomend the 2.0GHz MacBook - as said, it is sturdier and will last you a long time, hopefully!

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...depending on how portable you want to be... eeePC1000HE or the whitebook...

6. Intel Inside thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the feedback!

i like the 2.0 unibody macbook because of it build quality and that it will match my iMac :D but i cant justify the price with the new white macbook.

Regarding price, i will probably get it on duty free so the prices are about £50-£125 cheaper.

Any more opinions, advice or previous experience?

7. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

It seems like the best option for you would be a white Macbook, especially if you need to do any lengthy typing, it'll certainly blow the netbooks' keyboards out the water. And, like you said, unless you have the money to spend, the 2.0 unibody doesn't really seem worth it.

One piece of advice, if you or someone in your family is eligible for the education discount, compare the price saving you could get via that route. Remember, there's also the back-to-school promo, so even if you don't need the iPod, you could sell it to make more cash.

8. Intel Inside thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey thanks for the tip. I've just checked the prices and the White Macbook costs £703 on the education store and £625 Duty Free. So it wont be worth getting from the education store in my opinion.

Just wondering how does the White Macbook's keyboard compare to the Unibody keyboards?

Edit - The 2.0 Unibody Macbook costs £807 on Duty Free.

9. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

The keyboards on the whitebook and unibody seem pretty much identical to me due to the lack of backlighting in 2.0 model. The one associated problem with the whitebook is the risk of yellowing on the palmrest, but this is countered by the risk of getting scratches on the aluminium palmrest (from watches/rings).

That leaves the unibody casing as the only reason for shelling out an extra £180. Not worth in it my opinion.

p.s. To get your laptop duty-free, do you have to buy it at an airport? If so, what shop would you be getting it from?

10. cube macrumors G5

The Unibody macbook does not have FireWire, so you won't be able to connect a miniDV camcorder, some audio production equipment, and FireWire hard drives to it, for example.

The white MacBook has it.

11. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

I think you should first talk us about your budget.
    The market is full of < 900 bucks win laptops (quite crappy, actually).
    Only the WMB is available in such shortprice range, however it is, for me, superior to the same price range PC's. Especially now with the last processor upgrade.
    Now, if you want more power, and you have more moneys to spend, for sure you can have a look to the MB.
    Finally, if you have much more moneys to spend (happy you!) and if you really need portabiity, have a look to the MBA.
    One more tip: have a look to the refurbished mac section.

12. Intel Inside thread starter macrumors 6502

My budget is anything up to £800. Remember im buying on duty free so everything is 17.5% cheaper (i think)

13. JDee macrumors 6502a

It's 15% if you're talking about the UK.

It goes back up to 17.5% at the end of the year I think?

14. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

Correct! :)

Apple are selling off refurbished 2Ghz Whitebooks for £629. Could it be that they not refurbished, but actually brand new and they're just selling them off since the 2.13 came out?

15. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

get the 2.0 uni i have experienced them in person and they are great :)