A few DVD Questions (burning)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by xxMacAttackxx, Apr 14, 2009.

1. xxMacAttackxx macrumors member

xxMacAttackxx

Hello,
    Sorry if i repeat a few questions that have been answered before, I used the search function but did not find what I was looking for.

First off, can anyone recomend good software for burning copyrighted dvds for PERSONAL BACKUP (I'm expecting a few people to tell me that burning copyright material is illegal, but it is for personal use only, and I have already purchased the dvds).

I know how to do it with Mac the Ripper, Handbrake, and even some with Disk Utility. But I am looking for a simple process that doesn't require two different pieces of software to rip, and then burn the dvd.

Also is there anything that can burn from one disk drive directly to the other simultaneously, as I have two super drives in my mac pro. (I figured this relates to Mac Pros as they are the only mac with two drive bays, hence why it is in the Mac Pro thread)

Thanks a ton for the recommendations.

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Firstly, search the forums.

3. xxMacAttackxx thread starter macrumors member

xxMacAttackxx

As I mentioned in the first sentence of the thread... I already did, and was unsuccessful.. But thanks.

4. j2048b macrumors 6502a

The only ones i can think of:

Toast Titanium

DVD2oneX2

popcorn 3

fairmount to remove encryption

toast of course will be the best option but look into the other 2 as well?

5. Arizona macrumors newbie

If it is really just for archiving purposes, you may want to consider a good harddrive. Easier in use and per Gb prices are similar… I have my movies (self-made and downloaded) all archived on a disk. One disk accessible for usage, one backup disk for archiving. If one disk fails, I still have the other. I hardly ever bother with DVD backup anymore, it's not really worth the time anymore. Maybe a bit more reliable, but also DVD's can go corrupt…

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Making a backup itself is not illegal, but violating a DVDs copy protection is (and basically all commercial DVDs have copy protection on them) - this stupid technicality does, pretty much, make it illegal. Emphasis on my use of 'stupid' though, I think contradictory laws are dumb.

7. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Yeah, I'd go for the "Search the forums" suggestion too. Use the words "DVD Rip" there are hundreds out there from $0 ~ $50. And how about HandBreak? I just tested with with one of my grandkid's DVDs - Pirates Of The Caribbean (how appropriate :D) and it seems to be saving out. This way you get 6 movies on one burned DVD.

Yeah, 23 min. later the 2 hr. 30 min. movie (with chapters even) plays perfectly!

A movie this long tho - you can only put 4 per DVD burn. ;)

--
    PS: I don't care if it's corporate-legal or not! I'm of the "Come and get me copper" school of thought. :D And I work in the film industry! ;)

8. kirreip macrumors regular

DVD2oneX2 is perfect for that. It makes a backup of your dvd movies.

Oh and whether it is legal or not to make a backup of your own dvd's strongly depends of the country you live in. Where I live for example, you are allowed to make backup's of your stuff. But I know that in Germany for example, you are only allowed to do so, if you do not make anything to defeat a copy protection (which is not possible when you make a backup of your purchased DVD's or games). And now before anyone says something about copyright and stuff... It is the legislator that makes the law and not the industrie ;) (Not Paramount, not Sony, not Microsoft and not Apple). And that some companys think they are allowed to do so, does not change that fact.

9. xxMacAttackxx thread starter macrumors member

xxMacAttackxx

Thanks!

Perfect, Thanks a ton everyone!! You guys rock!

I decided to go with FairMount, and Toast Titanium, I will also check out DVD2oneX2.

Thanks again, and again I apologize for repeating anything..
    :apple:xxMacAttackxx:apple:

10. xxMacAttackxx thread starter macrumors member

xxMacAttackxx

Hahahaha, I like the way you think :D

11. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

What system are you using over there? I would love to do some 23min rips!

12. j2048b macrumors 6502a

ditto here too

13. yomibro macrumors regular

The x86 platform has better applications for this type of stuff IMHO, my previous PC rig (AMD Opteron 170 w/2GB of memory) could do a rip/compress/burn in around 16 minutes using a dual drive setup using just one single application.