A few external monitor questions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Nuks, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Nuks macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone,

I recently just picked up an Acer 22" monitor for my macbook: http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10093733&catid=

However, this Samsung just went on sale, (http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...665000FS10088900&catid=25074&logon=&langid=EN) and I'm thinking about buying it, and taking the Acer back.

The Samsung is only 21.6 and (apparently) doesn't have any tilt mechanisms. Will I notice either of these drawbacks (I know .4 of an inch doesn't seem like much, especially coming from the macbook)?

Also, if I am running my macbook in clamshell mode, is there any way to wake it back up without having to unplug the external monitor?

Finally, what software programs are available for os x in regards to external monitors? I vaguely recall a program which memorized the positions of programs, so you didn't have to constantly move things around when you opened them. Any other neat programs would be very useful as well.

Sorry for this mess of an post, but I'm just on my way out the door, so no time to fix it!

Thanks everyone, and Merry Christmas!

2. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

Easy answer to question one: probably not. Not sure which kind of tilt you're talking about; the usual kind of adjustment, or the "rotate on it's side" kind? The former I wouldn't want to do without, the latter isn't a very big deal.

If you're running your MB in closed mode, then you can wake up the computer by pressing a button on an external keyboard or mouse.

3. Nuks thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks.

I know there probably is this kind of tilt, but i saw a post on a forum somewhere that there wasn't. If you're looking at the monitor directly from the side and tilting it, it would go from this | to \ or /.

Also, I know that pressing an external keyboard will wake it up, but once i wake it and start using it with JUST the external, is there any way to return to using both the external and the macbook screen at the same time without having to unplug the external? The macbook is awake, but its screen is not on.

And finally, anyone know about programs?

Thanks again!