A few general organizationalistical questions about dual-HD organization practices.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bobby Corwen, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

So after installing a 128SSD + 750HD I haven't done much organizing but I am getting to it now, getting ready to make as much as I can default to the storage drive and keep my SSD as uncluttered as possible so it doesn't get full.

So far I have done two things, and now I need to know what else I can do and have to consider.

1. I set the iTunes music folder to the Scorpio drive. Also moved the few pieces of music I have yet on the machine over to that drive. (it was funny because I deleted some important iTunes folder whilst moving it and it started beachballing and I was like OH NOOOOO its the OPTI but after a bit I figured out I just had to "reset the library" and re-engage the xml file or whatever -lol)

2. I set the uTorrent folder drive to default in a general Downloads folder on the Scorpio drive.

Ok at this point my question is, what else is a good practice to keep the SSD clean? What other settings can I switch to default on the storage drive?

My concerns are photos, future music plugin installs, windows 7 bootcamp vs parallels on the Scorpio, and which programs I can install on the Scorpio and which I cant. For example I cant have World of Warcraft taking up 40 gigs of my 128SSD...

Coming from windows this is not as clear to me so if it seems obvious please, (watch yourself ;) )

Ok so how do I do this?

1. Is it really easy to keep photos on the second drive? I could see myself keeping them on the SSD because I dont have millions, just a couple hundred (for now) but I also constantly upload HD videos and edit them for youtube stuff so this "folder" may add up fast.

2. Will most of my future plugins i run in Ableton suite (installed on the SSD) or Logic 9 (not installed yet) be able to be installed on the scratch disk properly? Will they still be associated with "Applications?" (see this is where it gets fuzzy for me with the applications folder and how its tentacled around the system)

3. Straight up, is it just fine to install windows 7 on boot camp on the Scorpio drive? Will it behave just like a bootcamp on the same drive? or is there extra steps? is it possible? Is it better to run parallels? can parallels be installed on the Scorpio drive?

4. Can I install WoW on the Scorpio drive just fine?

5. Can I install Logic on the Scorpio drive just fine?

6. Will all these installs run the same speeds and access as if the Scorpio was the OS drive?

7. Is there any common limitation I should know about?

8. What other drive organizational practices should I know about?

2. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

3. eUnique macrumors member

As a mac/general technology noob, I am interested in hearing this explained too.
    :D

4. jpeezy macrumors regular

The easiest way to avoid any issues is to create symbolic links.

mkdir /Volumes/scorpio_hd_name/Downloads
    ln -s /Volumes/scorpio_hd_name/Downloads ~/Downloads

This will create a symlink in your homedir that points to the "real" directory on your scorpio drive. You can access this directory in either location (your homedir or the scorpio drive).

Also, its a good idea to turn off access time on your SSD. The link below describes how to do this, along with a few other good tweaks.

SSD Tweaks

JP

5. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

What you're doing seems all fine. As far as some of your questions, why dont you try what you ask and it will give you your answer :rolleyes:

6. davidlv macrumors 65816

"organizationalistical"
    Did you make that up yourself?
    Anyone with an imagination capable of that shouldn't have issues with meer harddrive file organization! :D

7. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

I dunno I thought maybe people didn't want to help because they saw utorrent but I bought all my programs... I only use that for old Italian films or random instrumental dumps.

I just need some perspective because it feels a bit different than how I think.
    That was helpful about the placeholder links. Now I know I can even do that...

8. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

I think it might be simpler (for organisational purposes) to move your entire Home directory to your 750gb drive.

You can find some info here.