A few hardware questions

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by suecompass, Jun 14, 2007.

1. suecompass macrumors newbie

I've just order my first Mac, the mac pro and i have a question while i'm waiting on delivery. I want to use boot camp to run Vista, i have a spare 80 gig ide drive, can this be used with the Mac pro?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Maybe in an external case... The Mac Pro won't natively let you install an IDE drive though, since it uses SATA. You'll either need a case or an adaptor. :eek:

3. suecompass thread starter macrumors newbie

oh, ok, that's what i was thinking. I do have it in an external case right now, probably not a good idea to install vista to an external ide drive then. Guess i'll just make a partition on my main SATA drive.

Thanks.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, I don't know if Boot Camp allows you to install Windows on anything but the boot drive, yet. :eek:

5. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Yes and no. You can stick it in the extra 5.25" bay. I did that for a little while. Works just fine.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

7. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

a company makes a kit to install the drive in permanent fashion, but can't seem to find the link right now...

helped a friend do this very thing by gutting an old dead cdrom, removed the front/guts/back and just had a steel shell. used rubber grommets and mounted the ide drive inside, then just mounted the shell like any other cdrom. cables and close. all good, quiet, and cost close to nothing. :) best of luck.

8. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

9. suecompass thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the help. I think i'll just use the SATA drive for now, i'll keep the ide in the external case and use for backups.

10. suecompass thread starter macrumors newbie

One other thing i meant to add, my version of Vista is 64 bit. Will this work with boot camp?