a few iMac 27" 2009 queries

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Arkious, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Arkious macrumors 6502a

Arkious

My iMac 27" had a delay of about 2-3 seconds before it actually made a tone and then went to the grey boot screen when i bought it with 4GB of RAM in 2009. but when i upgraded the RAM to 8GB the time delay increased to 6-7 seconds which is annoying but useful when trying to boot to bootcamp as it gives me longer to get the wireless keyboard connected before it gets too far through the boot.

I am currently looking at replacing the 1TB HDD with a 160GB Intel 320 SSD as most games are causing the hard drive to work overtime when loading, all graphics are jumpy until everything has loaded and i guess its all down to the HDD causing the bottle neck. So, i would like to ask a few things.

When i install the SSD im assuming it will load much faster, making it harder to get booted to bootcamp. Is there any way of booting easier?

Is the delay at startup a RAM check? if so do all macs do this and can anything be done about it?

When installing the SSD, i know that the Fan will spin up fast and i was wondering what i can do to stop that too. Somebody said just short it out, but wont the fan always stay low? can you buy a temp sensor to fit like the older macs?

Any info you can offer please do, even if you think my choice of SSD is bad.

2. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

are you certain its the correct ram type for the iMac? are you mixing/matching different ram speeds?

If not then it could just be the type of RAM.

With the 2009 iMac you shouldnt have to worry about the fan issue on that one, not from the one I installed an SSD in. Mainly the 2011 and possibly the 2010

3. Arkious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkious

it came with 1066 but i fitted 1333 as its supported, i removed the old ram and just fitted the 2x4gb 1333

are you sure about the fan issue? what SSD did you fit? thanks very much

4. Buffsteria macrumors regular

Buffsteria

My iMac wouldn't start with 16GB 1333. I downgraded to 1066 and it runs.

5. Arkious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkious

well ive had it running for a year and a half no bother, ive read tonnes of posts that it worked and thats the reason i bought it. i dont mind if its what causes the slight delay i was just wondering what it was lol

6. Arkious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkious

Just been looking at the Crucial M4 256GB, has anyone much experience with these? they arent a bad price for the extra space over the intel