A Few iMac Questions

Discussion in 'iMac' started by snake8, May 8, 2012.

1. snake8 macrumors newbie

First post here, I've been checking in daily for any new rumors on the iMac release for the last couple months. Anyways, the reason I'm posting is because I have a few questions about the iMac (bare with me, I'm only slightly tech smart).

I do a lot of video editing (partly as a hobby, occasionally as a job) and my old Mac Pro G5 (about 7-8 years old, before Intel) just isn't doing the job anymore. It takes forever for HD footage to render, convert, etc. and quite often Final Cut flat out crashes on me. With that being said I want my new iMac to shred through HD footage. The type of things I edit usually have very frequent cuts and transitions and multiple layers. So my questions are:

1. What would you recommend for a system? I'm thinking of getting a 27" and just maxing everything out, but is that needed? Are there things that won't really make much of a difference? Should I still expect waiting for rendering, freezing/dropped frames during playback, etc.?

2. I've read a lot of people recommending upgrading the RAM yourself. How hard is that for the average schmuck that's never worked on a computer? Does it void your warranty?

3. For anyone who uses Final Cut X, I was watching the video that shows how you can edit while the footage is rendering, etc (I was in heaven). Does it work as well/easy as it shows? Is there any lag while rendering? Should I still expect waiting for rendering, freezing during playback, etc.?

Obviously a lot of the questions in number 1 are up in the air until the refresh happens, but let's just say based on the current models to make things easier. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer my onslaught of somewhat stupid questions.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:

3. snake8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply! So based on this the 27" i7 could take up to 32GB RAM, would that make as much of a difference in speed/performance over 16GB as I'm imagining?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It completely depends on the workload you put on it. Some users would never use 16GB, much less 32GB.

5. snake8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I'm looking at up to 4 layers of HD video and 3 layers of audio, and at times having over 6 cuts/transitions in a matter of a second or two. Not sure if this give you an idea or helps you know how much I'd need, but I figure I'd throw it out there.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

My approach would be to start with 16GB and see if that does the job.

To determine if you can benefit from more RAM, launch Activity Monitor and click the System Memory tab at the bottom to check your page outs. Page outs are cumulative since your last restart, so the best way to check is to restart your computer and track page outs under your normal workload (the apps, browser pages and documents you normally would have open). If your page outs are significant (say 1GB or more) under normal use, you may benefit from more RAM. If your page outs are zero or very low during normal use, you probably won't see any performance improvement from adding RAM.

Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor

7. snake8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, sounds like sensible advice. Thanks a bunch, your help is appreciated!

Anyone have advice on 1 and 3?