Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

suedehead

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2011
how does the gt755m stack up against the gtx775m? is the latter significantly more future proof than the former? i'm a moderate gamer, but my imac doesn't need to a gaming machine, it just needs to last me 4 to 5-6 years.
if i go with the gtx775m & 1tb fusion drive, the cost would be pretty much the same as when i'd go with a gt750m & 3tb fusion drive.
storage is a factor, but now with usb3 on board not so much.

i'm not really looking for benchmarks.

also, how useful is the trackpad with a 27" imac? i love the trackpad with my mbp, but i have no idea what it would add to the imac experience?

thanx!

Last edited:

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
I have the higher end 27". I love the trackpad. I enjoy using the operating system with moving but that. For gaming though, mouse only.

I elected to the hard drive, then configured an external thunderbolt ssd with it as a fusion drive. Works like a dream :)

Alfinator

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2013
Linköping - Sweden
how does the gt755m stack up against the gtx775m? is the latter significantly more future proof than the former? i'm a moderate gamer, but my imac doesn't need to a gaming machine, it just needs to last me 4 to 5-6 years.
if i go with the gtx775m & 1tb fusion drive, the cost would be pretty much the same as when i'd go with a gt750m & 3tb fusion drive.
storage is a factor, but now with usb3 on board not so much.

i'm not really looking for benchmarks.

also, how useful is the trackpad with a 27" imac? i love the trackpad with my mbp, but i have no idea what it would add to the imac experience?

thanx!

Ok so if you can afford it, go with the better GTX775M and 1TB Fusion Frive because you can't change the graphics card when you've bought it but you can buy an extra HDD.

That's just how i'm thinking, correct me if im wrong but :D

suedehead

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2011
hey thank you both for the input!

@alfinator ... it's within my budget and i can see where you come from, but i'm still kinda wondering how it will hold up against time. my gut tells me to go with the gtx775, but ... :)

also, and this has nothing to do with imac or anything apple related, but i see that you are from linköping. i spent three years of my life there (i'm from belgium) and i still have some really close friends in linköping. god jul!

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
My advice is to put as much into the GPU as you can - it is going to be the limiting factor as the machine ages. My 6 year old iMac was finally replaced because the GPU was too old, but the rest of it was just fine.

Get the best GPU you can afford right now, even if it's not the very top one.

You can always add more storage later (either externally, or by swapping the internal HD if you have the skills), but that GPU is going to be fixed for the life of the machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.