A few interesting observations @ the AT&T store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rsrchr123, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Rsrchr123 macrumors regular

So I just got back from the AT&T store a short while ago and I saw some interesting things there that really gave me pause.

First, every iPhone4 in the store had a dead battery. You could not try out or demo them at all. Now why would that be? The hottest product (supposedly) that is going to change everything (supposedly) and the battery is dead? I'd be very curious to know if other stores are experiencing the same thing. I suppose it could have been a one-off type of deal, but I'd be surprised if the marketing agreement didn't require AT&T to always have those phones powered up...unless Apple had told them to do otherwise. Faced with multiple lawsuits, shut down the phones, you can't test the reception issue, the screen issue, the white balance issue, etc.

I was in there last week and the 3GS phones were running iOS4. Now they are on the OS before (3.whatever number). How could that be? Also, the sales lady intimated to me that I could possibly get a 3GS that was running the prior OS, which might be enough to keep me with my phone because all my apps worked on the prior OS.

This company is dishonest. Something is going on about which we do not know. I went there to try out some of the Google phones because as I'm weighing a possible switch, it's going to come down to functionality and how much I have to give up. If I can get comfortable with what I'd have to give up, I will likely leave the walled garden.

2. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Maybe the demo phones have been played with so much they had flat batteries? iPhone is at nearly 2million sales but a lot of people cant afford them and will go play with them in the store instead.

In my stores (UK) the phones are connected to a power outlet. What kind of stores run them off the battery??

3. lgrulz macrumors newbie

Did you ask any of the sales people in the store? Or are you thinking that somebody here is going to know the answer? Well anyway...:confused:

4. Rsrchr123 thread starter macrumors regular

No, actually I didn't. I hate to be rude but the lady helping me was ignorant. I asked a few questions and I thought my head was going to explode when she answered the questions. The whole thing may be nothing at all, but it really struck me as odd. It's like a car dealer getting in a new model, you asking to drive it, and them saying, "well, it's missing a starter, so we can't let you drive it, but you're more than welcome to look at it." :confused:

5. jacollins macrumors 6502a

From what you're saying, it's more like "There's no gas in it, but you can sit in it. If you want to test drive it, we'll need to put a few gallons in, if we've got someone around that knows how to put gas in..."

It really depends on the store/shipment. Are you talking demo phones or phones right out of the box? If it is a demo phone, I'd expect them to have the charged (so an AT&T store issue, not a phone issue). If it is straight out of the box, it's going to depend on when they were shipped and how long it took to get to the store. I would expect them to have some sort of charge though. It's rated at 300 hours standby, which is like 12-13 days (assuming it was fully charged from the factory).

6. Rsrchr123 thread starter macrumors regular

No sorry, I mean demo phones. Both demos were down, even though they were still plugged in. Made me wonder if behind the stand it wasn't plugged in to an outlet. That cannot be an oversight. Also, this is a corporate store, not one of the other private stores you sometimes see around.

7. showkati macrumors regular

8. jacollins macrumors 6502a

Considering the person you were speaking to, I wouldn't be surprised if it were not plugged in behind the scenes, so they didn't charge. It's been pretty hit and miss for me with the AT&T store. Sometimes you get the smart guy, and sometimes you get the rejects from the short bus.

I have to admit, for the times I visited the Apple store, while some of them LOOKED like rejects from the short bus, they knew what they were doing.

9. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

wow 2 phones? call the fbi. you made it sound like it was a ton of phones in your first post. Maybe the clerks there were tired of answering questions and just unplugged em. I'm sure thats not AT&T policy but whos gonna find out if they do it for 1 shift.

10. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

When it comes to the phone, Apple store.

For service, AT&T store.

For demoing other phones, yeah, hit and miss.

11. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

being someone who worked for them there is an adapter mounted to the display unit that plugs into the bottom to run it off of store power, they probably unplug it when they close to save energy, someone either forgot to plug it back in, lost it, or it is damaged..

..and really I doubt the 3GS's had os4 on them to begin with, most stores have vendors (outside company) that comes in to do upgrades like that and usually the itunes that is installed at the stores computers only works for unbricking and does not have access to the internet outside of that to update even if they could..

i have no excuse for the idiot behind the counter though.. they are on commission, they really should be invested in their customer service skills, i guess since so many of these phones now sell them selves they feel like they don't have to... why were they even behind the counter? they should be out on the salesfloor welcoming you and offering help and suggesting products that your looking at.. when a customer came into my store looking at an iphone i wouldn't hesitate to start a dialog with them "Cool phone huh... check this out" and show them something super cool.. that's how selling stuff works and when you are on commission, your objective #1 needs to be selling stuff...

soo yea.. that employee was a retard which also explains why the phones batteries were dead...

as far as the 3GS, i'm not calling you a lier but I think you might be mistaken in your memory when you remember seeing them on OS4, I don't really see a reason why they would hide it

12. Rsrchr123 thread starter macrumors regular

Fair enough, but I have to say that when I first went in there (before the visit referenced in the forum), I was playing with a 3GS and its multitasking. The funny thing was when I picked it up, I didn't even notice that the OS was different as shown by slate the icons now sit on, and so I double-clicked the home button and it took me back to the home screen. Did a second take and realized it was the old one.

On the prior visit, I found the 3GS to be very snappy with it installed, as opposed to how much it has bogged down my 3G. So I dunno.

I will say, even though I think I posted this originally somewhere in another thread, that my apps are finally getting updated, so the majority now work, so I am happy about that. BUT, the phone itself is still unacceptably sluggish when I switch between apps, etc. I spoke to AT&T on the phone and asked if the 3GS's they have had iOS4 on it and they said they did not, that if I wanted that, I'd have to download it myself after buying the phone. I'd be curious if anyone else could validate that. I have half a mind to get a 3GS and leave the old OS on it. I don't multitask and the old OS worked great for me but I would like to have a video cam. If it ain't broke...

I have already ruled out the iphone4. So for me, I'll either stay with what I have, get a 3GS or a Samsung Galaxy S. Probably the biggest issue I have is battery life. I can make it a half day at work on my battery. Unfortunately, I work for communists who won't allow you to plug your phone into the wall (PC I could see, but the wall?) I digress, but my point is that my next phone has to have battery life.

My experiences in the AT&T store have generally been positive, so I'm sure the lady I got that day was just uninformed.

13. Rsrchr123 thread starter macrumors regular

Some of the others were down too. I dunno, like I said, it could be nothing. I just found it interesting that the flagship models were done. Juxtaposed with the problems, it just made me wonder.