A few iPad questions

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Elec, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Elec macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I am curious if this is a good time to buy an iPad 3? The reason I ask is because it's been out for a while and I am not sure if a new one will be out soon or if it will be much better or not. I figured you guys may know some rumors.

Second question, on the Apple website it says that AT&T has a data plan for the iPad for 250MB per month for $14.99 and Verizon has a plan for 1GB per month for $20.

The problem is that neither cell service actually has those plans on their website. So is Apple's website out of date (seems odd for Apple) or are those plans special thru Apple?

Third, since I currently have an iPhone with AT&T I was wondering if it would be wise to buy the cheaper WiFi only iPad and just setup my iPhone as a hotspot thru AT&T and use that for the internet connection? I ALWAYS have my iPhone with me.

Thanks for the help!

2. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    1. Only you can make the decision whether or not to buy an iPad now. There are lots of rumors about a smaller version - but they are simply rumors.

2. I have an iPad 2 AT&T 3G. The 250MB for $14.99 is purchased directly through the iPad. Takes no time at all and you don't need to be connected to WiFi at the time of your purchase.

The information is on the AT&T site. You just have to find it:
    http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#fbid=NQnuS3jB6xV

Can't help you with the hotspot question since I have a dumb phone - but am guessing someone will step in with their advice.

3. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Unless you're interested in the rumoured iPad mini, I would say it is an okay time to buy the iPad 3. Usually the new ones get released in March (or around that time) so you still have time. I also found when I first started visiting MacRumours that their Buyer's Guide was pretty helpful. The guide agrees with me in saying that it's mid cycle, so you could ether buy it or wait.

I have never gotten cell service through Apple, but I think it would be safe to assume that the prices Apple lists in their site are correct (though keep in mind those plan prices may apply to new customers only. You'd have to check on that). Though it seems like Aspasia has done it before and can confirm the plan accuracy.

As for the tethering option, are you on one of those family share plans? Because I believe tethering is included in those plans for no extra charge.

Sorry I can't give more specific answers on the AT&T questions as I have never had them as a carrier.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I can confirm that I'm using the $20/month for 1Gig plan from Verizon on my iPad right now, and you can sign up for it from your iPad.

Last time I checked, tethering on an AT&T iPhone cost an extra $20 per month, but I'm not sure what the current policy is. Also, tethering tends to deplete your iPhone battery faster.

But since your phone is on AT&T, you might also want to check what kind of deals are avaiable on their Share Everything plan.

Good luck finding a plan that fits your needs!

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I would wait until after the upcoming Apple event on October 10 to see what they announce. The rumors suggest and iPad mini, but there have also been some rumors of a slightly revised full size iPad perhaps with the new Lightning connector. It is only a few more days, so I think it would be smart to hold off.