Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bravia3d

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2013
Hey guys,

My wife is wanting either a new laptop or an iPad. She mostly will be using it for Microsoft Excel and Word.

My question is, is it pretty much like the Windows version and could she transfer files back and forth from Windows to iPad and iPad to Windows? "For instance, would the iPad open Excel files that were made in Windows?

Also, is there a way to connect a DVD burner to the ipad and burn CD's and DVD's?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
My wife is wanting either a new laptop or an iPad. She mostly will be using it for Microsoft Excel and Word.

My question is, is it pretty much like the Windows version and could she transfer files back and forth from Windows to iPad and iPad to Windows? "For instance, would the iPad open Excel files that were made in Windows?
I store my files on Dropbox for seamless syncing between Windows and iOS (it has to be Office 2007 or newer format to be able to edit with Excel and Word for iOS).

I regularly edit Excel spreadsheets created on Windows on the iPad. Caveat, the iOS version isn't as full featured (e.g. can't create Pivot Tables on iOS, but you can create them on Windows and they'll work on iOS).

Also, is there a way to connect a DVD burner to the ipad and burn CD's and DVD's?
Nope.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.