A few iPhone headphone choices, please help!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by csi24, Jan 22, 2008.

1. csi24 macrumors member

csi24

Hello everybody I know I'm not alone here when it comes to finding new headphones for my iPhone. So after looking at a few choices, some specifically made for the iPhone and some that are not, I've come to these choices:

Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 pro- I know they don't have the mic or anything, but some websites say that it comes with a 3.5mm plug and I know that will fit into the iPhone. Or are they lying and will I have to perform minor rubber cutting surgery so it will fit into the iPhone?

Etymotic hf2- These are specifically for the iPhone, but I really don't have the cleanest of ears, even though I keep them extemelly clean. And since they have the filters I'm sure I'll run through the filters provided and I'll see my wallet lit up from all the extra costs. So do you think these are worth it with what I have said about my ears?

Ultimate Ears Super.fi 4vi- These are also specifically made for the iPhone, but they only have one driver in them and I've also read a review that said their not worth the $149 price tag. I've seen them as cheap as $130, but still if I want to pay this much money I might as well go for the UE 5's which aren't that much more

V-Moda Vibe Duo- I have a regular pair of Vibe's from a few months ago, and even though they had thumping bass, I wasn't to impressed with it's clarity.

Wow this is pretty long, so thanks for reading if any of you made it this far. My number one choice is the UE 5's so if anyone has these and uses these on their iPhone's can you please tell me how good they are with the iPhone.

Thanks again and I look forward to reading your responses

2. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

I'd recommend any V-moda earphones. Their earphones are awesome and their customer service is amazing! I currently use the V-moda Bass Freqs. For $30, they are quite good.

3. csi24 thread starter macrumors member

csi24

Thanks for the quick response. I actually have a pair of V-Moda Vibe's that I used for my Zune and they were pretty good. But I want to take a step up from those and I believe the UE 5's will do that. So anyone else want to help me?

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I tried the Shure $449.00 Earphones...

http://www.shure.com/PersonalAudio/Products/Earphones/SEModels/us_pa_se530_content

at the Macworld SF '08, and they were definitely the best I've ever used. I felt like walking-off with them still attached, but I didn't want to spend that amount of money.

I did the demo thing with the V-Moda Vibe Duo and found them a difficult fit, and as you stated "unimpressive clarity" for me also. I've also tried the Etymotic hf2 at Macworld SF '08, and definitely was concerned with the "residue" from my own ears. I was almost embarrassed by the damage I did to their product.

I'm the owner of the Bose In-Ear Headset, and find them amazingly affordable and the 2nd best headset to the Shure Earphones, CLEAN and extremely comfortable. :cool:

5. csi24 thread starter macrumors member

csi24

Thanks for the response. And if the UE 5's don't fit then I guess I could alway buy the Shure adapter for them. Or just some Shure headphones with the adaptor

6. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

7. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

I currently have the V-Moda Vibe, the V-Moda Remix, and the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro (and several other in ear types and even several headphone sets). I admit to a small problem with being a headphone junkie (spend/spent way too much time over on head-fi.org). Even have a few headphone amps....both desktop and portable.....oh, and a couple of discrete D/A converters......:rolleyes:

I like them all. But, if you had to pick one for sound, it'd be the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro. I'm not familiar with current Shure models (see below).

The Vibes (and the Duo, from current users comments), have great bass and overall sound. Very good for jamming on today's music, and all music in general. There is still some ambient noise. Same goes for the Remix, but it is very similar to the Apple buds, just a tad bit clearer and better bass. I use either of these when out and about.

The Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pros however are better for accurate reproduction. Very good clarity, realistic bass, and they are faithful all through the sound spectrum (albeit slightly rolled off on the highs, nothing too bad though). Accuracy is great for all genres of music. My only complaint is the cord. Don't know if they've redesigned it....mine are almost 2 years old....but it tends to be stiff. A minor complaint. I use these for music that's not so 'compressed' as music of the past 10+ years seems to be. They will definitely show recording flaws (bad mixing, too much compression or distortion). With good recordings (and high quality files), you'll hear things you didn't know were there like musicians turning pages, dropped objects, etc. I listen to most every genre of music nowadays, old rock, current rock, metal, jazz, classical, country, etc. You'll be able to go with lower volume settings because of the total sound isolation. They cut almost all the outside noise when fit properly, so they're best for times when you don't want distractions to interfere with listening. Oh, and unless they've redesigned the cord, you'll have to use a converter to work with the iPhone. It's a small inconvenience, imo, for the sound quality.

I've also had a pair of the Shures. The E3C. Also great overall sound, similar sounding to me as the V-Moda Vibe. Unfortunately I had to deal with Shure's customer service dept twice for the same design flaw (I was an early adopter), and gave up on them. I ended up selling the third set they sent me to someone who had no issues with them (go figure).

If you really want to get into headphones and all... Spend some time lurking/researching on head-fi.org and headphone.com. As they say on head-fi.org, sorry about your wallet!

HTH.

ps....if you do get the UE Super.fi 5 Pro. You can swap the earpieces from left to right on the cord. Many say (me included) this is much more comfortable. Search on head-fi....

8. csi24 thread starter macrumors member

csi24

By convertor do you mean like the Belkin adapter? And thanks for the nice detailed response. I have actually bought the V-Moda Vibe Duo's but I will use my 30 day trial period and depending on how they sound with the iPhone they may stay or go. And if they do go then I'll have to get myself a pair of UE 5's

9. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

Yes, a converter like the Belkin one. But, that one's not exactly what I like. I have one that came with my switcheasy case that will work with either 3 conductor setup 'phones (like the UE Super.fi 5 Pro), or works as an extension for headphones that have the 4 conductor setup (like the original iPhone came with).

Biggest thing with the V-Moda Vibes (don't know if they corrected it on the Duos-but it looks the same)....the cables and the way they pass into the actual earbuds can't take any strain whatsoever. I returned a pair because of this. It is a pinch/crimp grommet (very small) that holds the cord very tight so that it can't be pulled out, but it actually pinches it. At least, that's what happened on my first set. I think there is a thread already going here that may be this......

And...you'll probably like the V-Modas. They do sound nice, just a bit heavy on the low end.

10. csi24 thread starter macrumors member

csi24

I have a pair of Vibe's that I bought last summer and they still work. So I just hope these hold up. If not, if it's in the 30 day period then I'll return them and get my money back. If it's after that then I'll just deal with them and use my warranty to get them fixed

11. DRDRJAY macrumors newbie

Earbuds I Like

-----------------------
    Aloha,

I really don't think it matters that Earbuds are specifically made for the iPhone or not. The one's I use are made by Shure...if you want to spend the $$$...But I do like my Music! All their newer models have mic attachments inline.

I use the e4c ( currently replaced by the 410 SE..Prox $320 ) and have a brand new pair of the 530s ( $450 ). These are noise canceling earbuds with special black foam ear pieces that you squeeze small before inserting them and they expand after you insert them. I use these for my iPhone and my Touch...sometimes my big classic, but that's plugged into my car and mostly resides in the glove box.

Anyway, check them out at www.shure.com. You can find lower internet prices using a Google search.

I also have a pair of Bose earbuds ( $100 ) which sound great...nowhere near as clear as the Shures...but they have no mic and don't block out noise on an ariplane...I travel a lot.

Hope this helped.

DRDRJAY

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I love my shure se530's...i will try to post pics...but they are the perfect length

13. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

cubbie5150

I bought a pair of V-Moda Vibes from Amazon for only ~$50 a few months ago, but I am ready to upgrade. I think the next set I'll get are the Klipsch Custom 3 (as soon as they are available)... The folks over @ head-fi seem to be drooling over these... Kinda pricey (I think they list for ~$300 USD).... I've always loved Klipsch products; the 2.1 Pro-medias I've used for almost 3 years are still going strong & sound great..

14. kevd00d macrumors member

i have the ultimate ears 4vi and they're pretty good...i'm not sure if it's worth the $150 price tag, but the sound is more than sufficient...not too bass-heavy, the vocals are especially clear, and the buds don't fall out

15. fastbite macrumors 6502a

fastbite

The V-moda are great BUT mine just died! (the left one) So the built quality is questionable.

16. jhkaplan macrumors regular

Odd, my left ear on my Vibe Duo's just died on Saturday. I contacted them today for warranty repair/exchange, but haven't heard back yet.

17. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

The Super.fi 4's from Ultimate Ears are fantastic for the price IMO.

I'm reviewing a pair of these at the moment, and I am very very impressed.

18. dundonald macrumors member

I'll chip in with another vote for the Super.fi 4's.

I have only had them a week but the sound is exceptionally clear and not too "bassy." My one caveat is that the clicker is taking me a bit of time to get used to. It's appears to be a button set behind a rubber membrane as opposed to Apple's rocker style. So if you are a glove wearer this might be a problem.

19. Shap macrumors member

In regards to the ones I mentioned above, I just got them yesterday and absolutely LOVE them! Easily the best deal I've ever found on ebay, great in all aspects not too bassy, but definatey enought, great mids and highs and fit my ear perfect. Can't recommend enough, easily compete with others 3-4 times the cost.

20. HD303 macrumors regular

HD303

Agree on the se530's as well. Google them, they list for over $500 but you can find them for around $320.

21. bombtrack macrumors member

Shure SE530

Ditto on the SE530. I got mine new for less than $300 from a 99.9% rated seller on eBay. Just got them and although I haven't put them through the paces entirely yet, I have been very impressed with what I have heard so far. The bass is tight but not overwhelming in a bad way ... and of course they fit the iPhone with no adapter necessary. The one word of caution with these (and other Shures) is that you have to find the right earpiece and fit before you can really 'hear' them.

22. jhkaplan macrumors regular

I bought a pair of these last week and they just arrived. Initial impressions: these are the best sound/functionality for the money. I have the VModa Vibe Duo and did purchase the Bose In Ear at one point. these have sound comparable, if not better than both, for less money. Like mentioned here, the cord is a bit rubbery and cheap feeling, and the mic/button is on the left side, not the right (which takes some getting used to), but for pure sound, I love these, they are amazing.

23. Shap macrumors member

Yup I gotta agree with you after testing for the last few nights. These offer great sound at a steal of a price. Your right about the cord, its pretty cheap feeling, id be more than happy to pay a bit extra for a better cord. I'm already ordering another set just in case I lose or break these ones. At 1/4 the price of comparable earbuds its a no brainer.

24. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz