A few iPhone questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by asdfTT123, Nov 26, 2007.

1. asdfTT123 macrumors regular

I'm thinking of purchasing a new iPhone but I'm not willing to purchase a 2 year contract with AT&T. From what I've been reading, the new iPhone has not been unlocked. Would it be possible to purchase one and use it as in iPod touch (everything but the phone feature) until I wait for the hackers to figure out a way to unlock the new firmware so I can use my T-Mobile SIM? Is it almost a given that the new iPhone firmware will *eventually* be cracked? I've been looking on ebay for unlocked iPhones with the previous firmware but they are all priced about $200 higher than the iPhone on the apple store. In my case, what's the best thing to do?

Also, if I purchase an iPhone myself how easy is it to unlock and jailbreak or do these things require professional assistance? Thanks =]

2. asdfTT123 thread starter macrumors regular

3. hooly macrumors regular

hooly

I am also new to the world of unlocking so can't answer your more complex questions, but as far as using the 'non-phone' features goes, it is all or nothing, so until you activate your iPhone, you won't be able to use any of the features... HTH

4. SRSound macrumors 6502

In your case (in my opinion) it would be best to keep the phone you have and wait a little longer. Technically you can get one now, downgrade the firmware and unlock for immediate use, but I have a feeling everything is going to change come the SDK in Feb. It's your call, but I would wait