Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
So today I finally decided to clean out my drawer and put my PBG4 back together. I knew there were a few issues with it, and that's why I took it apart in the first place. I'm gonna list the issues below:

1: There is no sound, there used to be a red light coming from the headphones jack and the volume couldn't be adjusted, I got rid of it using a paperclip, then the next day I had the genius idea to plug in headphones and the light came back. I took out the sound board and took off the top of the headphone jack and managed to get the light to go away but now, there isn't sound and the volume is adjustable. I think I need to get a new board but its 60$ on eBay....

2: When I close the lid, the PowerBook goes to sleep, when I open the lid, the desktop shows for one second and then the screen goes black. I have tried resetting the PMU, and PRAM but no luck. I think its the PRAM battery?

3: When I finally get the PB to come on, the network I was connected to was forgotten and I have to again put in the password. PRAM again??

Any help with any of the issues above would be much appreciated! Also, with 2 and 3 if I leave the computer open its fine.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
So today I finally decided to clean out my drawer and put my PBG4 back together. I knew there were a few issues with it, and that's why I took it apart in the first place. I'm gonna list the issues below:

1: There is no sound, there used to be a red light coming from the headphones jack and the volume couldn't be adjusted, I got rid of it using a paperclip, then the next day I had the genius idea to plug in headphones and the light came back. I took out the sound board and took off the top of the headphone jack and managed to get the light to go away but now, there isn't sound and the volume is adjustable. I think I need to get a new board but its 60$ on eBay....

2: When I close the lid, the PowerBook goes to sleep, when I open the lid, the desktop shows for one second and then the screen goes black. I have tried resetting the PMU, and PRAM but no luck. I think its the PRAM battery?

3: When I finally get the PB to come on, the network I was connected to was forgotten and I have to again put in the password. PRAM again??

Any help with any of the issues above would be much appreciated! Also, with 2 and 3 if I leave the computer open its fine.
What model Mac do you have?

12", 15" or 17"? Titanium or Aluminum?

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
1) Via Google…

$17, free shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/APPLE-A1029...rBook-G4-Aluminum-15-820-1602-A-/251465658296

Mods, not my auction.

2 and 3) Probably PRAM battery related. You probably need to replace the board.

Do you usually have the battery in and the Mac plugged in? If so, maybe something else. It shouldn't do that if there is power on demand.

I buy all my PPC macs off ebay broken and then fix them. The battery has been like this since I got it. But to use it, I have to leave it plugged in. Also thats not what my sound board looks like, it looks like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Powerbook-1...402?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ad8cc86c2 (mods not my auction)

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
And a while back I downloaded this app to check how the battery is doing and it looks like this:

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 138

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
And a while back I downloaded this app to check how the battery is doing and it looks like this:

What is the app with the icon of the pedestal fan next to the coconutBattery icon?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-05 at 2.33.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-05 at 2.33.31 PM.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 174

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yeah, I had that issue with my old A1139. Replacing DC-In boards did not solve it, so I have to assume that the battery cable (the one from the battery to the logicboard) was bad.

It looks as if your soundboard is also the DC-In board as well. So if replacing that does not set things right it could be the battery cable.

Probably not the battery because even old dead batterys were charging on my A1013 at the time, but the A1139 wouldn't charge them.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Wow! Great find, I've been looking for a cheap one for quite some time now. I'll look into ordering it soon. Thanks so much!
Cool! Glad I found you one!

----------

G4 FanControl you can control the fans so your PB runs cooler. It's really useful
I have never, ever been able to G4 Fan Control to work in any of my 17" PBs.

I don't know if that's because they are 17" models or the app just hates me, but it never works for me.

Sadly, the dev never responds to my querys.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
Cool! Glad I found you one!

----------

I have never, ever been able to G4 Fan Control to work in any of my 17" PBs.

I don't know if that's because they are 17" models or the app just hates me, but it never works for me.

Sadly, the dev never responds to my querys.

Huh, it might be the version. Did you test on any 15" PB's?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Huh, it might be the version. Did you test on any 15" PB's?
I don't own any. My son's 15" is a Titanium and I don't believe G4 Fan Control works on TiBooks.

My wife has the 12", but this is not something I'd put on her Mac as it'd just end up being one extra thing she'd not want to stay on top of.

So, I guess the short answer to that is no. :D

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
I don't own any. My son's 15" is a Titanium and I don't believe G4 Fan Control works on TiBooks.

My wife has the 12", but this is not something I'd put on her Mac as it'd just end up being one extra thing she'd not want to stay on top of.

So, I guess the short answer to that is no. :D

Haha have you tried it on other OS'es

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
Again, no. :)

All my Macs run Leopard, even the unsupported ones. The only exceptions would be the one iMac G3 I have and my OS9 systems.

That's awesome! My PMG5 has a Tiger partition for testing stuff and the leopard partition is for actual work:D

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
That's awesome! My PMG5 has a Tiger partition for testing stuff and the leopard partition is for actual work:D
I'm not a real big fan of Tiger.

My first real experience with it was with the G4s/G5 here at work. On it's own, it's a decent system. Had it on my TiBook/400 until it died in Nov. 2009. But here at work in a networked environment it was just a disaster.

Until last year we had a Windows 2003 SBS server and under Tiger any time I tried more than two or three copy or delete operations Finder would hang and then crash, or would just hang forever. Finder was highly unstable. The moment I was able to move on to Leopard I did. I have one G4 now on Leopard serving solely as a print server for the Mac Pro. I was using our Tiger G4 for that, but guess what? Tiger gave me fits. Printing never worked properly. Leopard handles print serving way better.

It's just a more robust system. I know lots of Tiger fans live here in the PowerPC forums, but Leopard is just my personal preference.

Once I moved on, that was it. I only install Tiger if I have to, like on G3 systems.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
I'm not a real big fan of Tiger.

My first real experience with it was with the G4s/G5 here at work. On it's own, it's a decent system. Had it on my TiBook/400 until it died in Nov. 2009. But here at work in a networked environment it was just a disaster.

Until last year we had a Windows 2003 SBS server and under Tiger any time I tried more than two or three copy or delete operations Finder would hang and then crash, or would just hang forever. Finder was highly unstable. The moment I was able to move on to Leopard I did. I have one G4 now on Leopard serving solely as a print server for the Mac Pro. I was using our Tiger G4 for that, but guess what? Tiger gave me fits. Printing never worked properly. Leopard handles print serving way better.

It's just a more robust system. I know lots of Tiger fans live here in the PowerPC forums, but Leopard is just my personal preference.

Once I moved on, that was it. I only install Tiger if I have to, like on G3 systems.

I agree with you completely on this. Tiger was stable and all, but it just lacked the features that Leopard brought to the table. Leopard also makes the PPC macs more useable and that's why I prefer it. I only have one mac running Tiger and it's my G3.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I agree with you completely on this. Tiger was stable and all, but it just lacked the features that Leopard brought to the table. Leopard also makes the PPC macs more useable and that's why I prefer it. I only have one mac running Tiger and it's my G3.
I'll just add that trying to integrate Tiger into a domain is a real PITA as well.

You have to turn off digital signing because Tiger doesn't support that. Passwords have to be in clear text and there are some arcane SMB commands I ultimately ended up running at system startup just to make copy operations as quick as I could. Ultimately, this forced an install of DAVE to our Macs just to integrate with the server.

Mail in Tiger does not support Exchange either. Luckily for us, at the time we had Office 2004, but if I had had to use Mail we'd have been screwed because we had an Exchange server at the time.

Thankfully, I didn't have to mess with settings really when it came to Leopard. Apple has made strides in the past few operating systems in regard to networking, but I still much prefer Leopard and even Panther.

Panther was the absolute most stable version of OS X I've worked with yet. Boring as hell, but totally stable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.