A few issues with dual display

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Yogakun, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Yogakun macrumors member

1) My secondary monitor parrallel to my imac, has flickering vertical and horizontal white lights flashing on the screen. What could be the issue? Could it be the mini to dvi adapter (3rd party) or something else. Could it be the dvi connection isn't placed well enough. The cables are too squished I dunno. Could it be the display?

2) When I'm trying to play Swtor MMO on one display, my other display with skype or a browser goes sluggish when I move the windows around. What can I do to fix this? Is 4 gigs enough ram, or should I upgrade to 12.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

The first thing to check is always your connections. Make sure they're seated properly, that there aren't any severe kinks in the cords, check for any fraying of cords and make sure there are no damaged pins.

If you have spare adapters and/or cables, try swapping them out. Test the monitor on another machine if possible to rule out the display being defective or not.

Your other display is being sluggish because you're playing a game at the same time. Many games, such as SWTOR, are GPU intensive, and demand almost all the processing power the GPU can deliver. Therefore, the GPU is having a difficult time, rendering the game and a second display at the same time. You make it even harder on the GPU when you start moving the other windows around too while playing the game.

You could add more RAM, but it isn't likely the problem. Go to Activity Monitor and check your Page Outs. If you have an excessive amount of them, then you could benefit from more RAM. However, in this situation, it's very likely your GPU. There isn't any way to fix it, except to say that you shouldn't be trying to multi-task with a game and other applications simultaneously.