A few issues with MBP and SSD drive.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andyjslin, Aug 2, 2012.

1. andyjslin macrumors member

Hi guys,

I went ahead and purchased a new SSD, Intel 330 series 120 G, unfortunately I did not (M)google hard enough to learn about the incompatibility between the Sandforce chipset of my SSD and my MBP (mid 2009 ver 5,2). I have googled for solutions unfortunately I could not find a solution. Would anyone have a solution for this little problem?

Also, I realised that I have been getting beach balls when starting apps after my transfer. So far, I have resetted the PVRAM, verified and fixed the disk and permissions? Other than a complete reinstallation anything else?

2. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

3. andyjslin thread starter macrumors member

MBP: Unibody, Mid 2009, version 5,2, 2.8 G Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 gig RAM.

SSD: intel 330 series, 120 gig.

4. robvas macrumors 68020

The NVIDIA SATA chipset sucks. But I have an Agility 3 running with no issues on it in a 2008 Uinibody

5. andyjslin thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, i've worked that bit out. I was hoping that there was a solution to fixing this. Also, has anyone been able to flash their Intel SSD ? I have been unable to do it and there seems to be a lack of one online

6. iarti macrumors newbie

Sounds like a common compatibility problem with Mid-2009 MBP.

I can confirm that my Mid-2009 2.66Ghz (MacBook Pro 5,3) has no issues with Samsung 830 512GB so far... Return your 320 for 830 and you'll be happier.

7. andyjslin thread starter macrumors member

I thought the Samsung 830 was also a Sandstorm Chipset, so wouldnt that mean it was not compatible. Unfortunately, my drive is the Intel boxed set that was on sale so no returns.

It's working for me now dont do anything intensive.

8. fteoath64 macrumors regular

fteoath64

Hi Andy,
    The late08 to 2010 model MBPs with MCP chipset has had problems with many SSDs. But from what I found, OCZ Vertex3, Agility 3 works well with their updated firmware. Crucial M4 works well as do Samsung SSD (Sammy uses their own controller and uses 4watts in writing while it idles at 0.33watts). All other SSDs are problematic including Vertex4 and Intels although the old X25M drives are OK.
    So best to sell your Intel SSD and buy a Vertex3 which is really low price now. Mine flies with Vertex3 with Trim on. 262Mbytes/s reads, 163Mbytes write of in-compressible data. Boots in 16 sec, wakes in 4 sec and sleeps faster than you can close the lid (ie instant). If you look at OCZ forums they did a lot of work on the Vertex3 for the MBP so best support of all. No other manufacturer dare to go near this issue. It is complex but solvable as OCZ has shown.

9. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I have no problem with Intel 320 series 160GB on my 2007 MBP. :apple:

10. andyjslin thread starter macrumors member

I was wondering, did you mbp sync at 3 gigs or 1.5? What did you do after you installed it?

To all those who responded thank you.

11. andyjslin thread starter macrumors member

AlSo, i realised my boot up time is roughly 20 sec , but shut down is a tad longer. I assume that is not normal?

12. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Sync at 1.5 my MBP only support SATA 1 and after installed it I downloaded Trim Enabler app recommended by some people here.
    Before I put Intel 320 series SDD on my MBP I used Serial ATA to USB 2.0 Cable Converter Adapter with Intel SSD to hook up with MBP then I used Carbon Copy Cloner program to transfer/clone from hard drive to SSD. When it was done cloning. I opened MBP and took hard drive out and put SSD. MBP booted just perfectly. I am noob but I am glad I did the right thing. :)

----------

Give MBP some time and it will shut down instantly!

13. andyjslin thread starter macrumors member

Out of curiosity can the fixes used with OCZ and Corsair be translated with the Intel 330 series drives?