A few keys not working...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by chopchop, Apr 24, 2011.

1. chopchop macrumors newbie

Hi -

I posted this about a month ago in the iMac forum and it hasn't been resolved. Someone suggested I move it over to this forum - so here goes.

My right shift key, arrow up key, and the 4, 5, and 6 keys on the number pad are all not working. Nothing has spilled.

I've plugged in a different keyboard - same problem. Zapped pram - problem remains. Trashed prefs, restarted, repaired disk permissions, mouse keys off, checked international settings, speech setting off - everything I could find online - nothing has worked. The keyboard viewer is showing that the keys are not being seen.

Two things have changed since I originally posted this in the iMac forum. I upgraded from 10.4 to 10.6 (finally), but the problem remains.

I've also tried out my wireless keyboard that I use with my laptop. Strangely - the wireless works fine.

Anybody have any thoughts? Why would TWO usb connected keyboards have the exact same issues, and the wireless work fine?

I'm fine with just buying a new keyboard - but I'm concerned that the same problem will happen with a new one.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Thank you!

2. carlgo macrumors 68000

Something under the keys, some sort of crud, a hair maybe? This can happen even without spilling liquid on it. Try cleaning under one and see. I've done this a couple of times successfully. I suggest researching how to remove and replace the keys on your unit properly.

3. chopchop thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Carlgo -

I should have mentioned that I tried cleaning too - before I tried a different keyboard.

Thanks again though!

4. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Hi

Not highjacking your thread but I have a similar problem with a keyboard here.

Does not matter what wired keyboard I plug into my Mac Pro ( I have a couple ) the brightness keys (F1 &F2) do not work.

The keyboards and everything else (monitors) all work fine in other combinations, it is just the Mac Pro, have not tried a wireless keyboard, I have one somewhere, will give it a try.

Now you have posted this I see this as a USB circuit issue.