A few keys on my MacBook are occasionally non-responsive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by greenerdragon, Mar 24, 2015.

1. greenerdragon, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015

greenerdragon macrumors newbie

For example, when I just typed my topic name, it originally came out as "A few keys on my Macook are non-responsive."

So I went back and added a B. I have to do this fairly often and it is driving me crazy.

The "B" key is a particularly bad offender, but one or two also fail occasionally.

This just started happening a couple weeks ago for no apparent reason. I haven't updated anything or spilled anything on the keyboard or done anything else that I can think might cause this.

I tried messing around with the Keyboard Viewer and typing in TextEdit. When the B doesn't show up in one place, it doesn't show up in the other.

Any suggestions? I am running Leopard if it matters.

(update in post #9 below)

2. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

Which macbook is it? does it have a removable battery? My (late 2008) white Macbook has had battery bulge issues. The bulge presses against the keyboard and warps both typing and the trackpad. Taking out the battery and running on AC power eliminates those problems.

I had to buy a new battery, but now that one too has bulged and I have to use my Macbook on AC power alone, which is why i'm probably in on the new rMB.

3. Mrbobb macrumors 601

This is more likely dirt under the keys than a software problem that you simply reboot to fix.

If you don't want to spend the money and have Apple look at it, go to ifixit.com and see if they have a DIY procedure for you to clean the keys.

4. greenerdragon thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a white MacBook. I'm not exactly sure of the year since I bought it used 6-ish years ago, but it definitely does have a battery bulge issue which is getting pretty bad, so you probably hit the nail on the head there.

There is also probably dirt under the keyboard since, as it is super old, it has started to do the cracking slightly around the edges thing.

Thanks to you both!

5. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

I suspected it might be the bulge because the bulge on mine hits right around the trackpad which is close to the "B" key. There's a cheap non-OEM battery on amazon that worked for me for a while. I think someone recently made a post about it. It worked for me for a little while, but the bulge issue has returned on mine with a vengeance.

6. greenerdragon thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup, the other keys that sometimes don't work are around the same area on the keyboard. Well, that's annoying. I was reading posts from other people with this issue over the years and it looks like some were aBle to get a free replacement battery with no warranty from an Apple store, while others were not so lucky.

7. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

8. iMaven macrumors 6502

iMaven

It's because your Macbook uses the scissor switch instead of the new butterfly switch.

9. greenerdragon thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, an update on my keyboard issues.

Since my last post, the B key seems magically better but now the space bar only works about 50% of the time. The other half of the time it either doesn't work at all or there is a noticeable delay, which causes my typingt o look liket his. Occasionally I get a double space where I don't want one.

I took out the battery and it's running on power adapter only. Unfortunately it didn't seem to make any difference at all in the keyboard function.

I then took the spacebar off using a credit card. It was extremely dirty under there so I cleaned it up pretty well and put the spacebar back on. Physically it seems like it should work perfectly fine, presses nicely just like before, but I am still having the same issues with unresponsiveness and delay.

This is driving me crazy. If anyone has any further suggestions, please let me know!