a few mac questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Harryt223, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Harryt223 macrumors member

1. how do you "remove" programs... eg. Safari and any other programs, since I have FF.

2. how can you bring certain icons to the dock?

3. what's new with the newer MBP pads? I know with windows you can tap it instead of clicking the button?

4. what's a good and cheap mouse to get for a MBP? I will need one, since I'll be using my MBP mostly for video editing eg. FCP.

Thanks and so far I'm loving this Mac, just got it this morning!!! :D

2. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

1) Just find them in your Finder and move them to the trash.

2) Open the program, and then right-click its icon in the dock and select "keep in dock".

3) Which pad are you using? The very newest release?

4) It's not cheap, but I'd recommend the Mighty Mouse.

3. Harryt223 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I'll look into it at my local PC store.

4. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Simply drag then application from your applications folder and place in trash and then empty.

5. Think macrumors member

Think

I've looked at the mighty mouse, and I'm sorry but I wasn't impressed at all. If you're going to spend that much you can get some really nice bluetooth mouse+keyboard sets.

(Assuming you have a lappy)For the road, I walked into WorstBuy and bought the cheapest wireless mouse they had (RF, came with a dongle, $25) and it works great, is easy to travel with, and I won't cry if I loose it. For a couple of dollar more, you could get a cheapo bluetooth mouse and forgo the dongle altogether. At home I have a nice logitech BT mouse and keyboard that talks to my MBP without any problems at all.

6. Harryt223 thread starter macrumors member

well im in no rush.. and so far the keypad has been fine enough for my needs. :D I just hope everyone else enjoy's their MBP as much as I do!

I haven't gone on my desktop PC in days now :D

I love the power of wireless net and a laptop, which can go anywhere in the house with you :)

7. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Open system prefs, click on keyboard & mouse, click on the trackpad tab, make sure the clicking check box is checked.

8. Harryt223 thread starter macrumors member

thanks so much... that did it.

Just another question.. how do you use the F-keys on the MBP. I use apple f12 to do a fullscreen mode in FCP, but here it just raised the volume.. even with apple f12? I tried ctrl, option too :(

9. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Press the fn key, bottom left of the keyboard and then the corresponding fn key you want o use.

10. catachip macrumors regular

catachip

11. catachip macrumors regular

catachip

1. I would highly recommend that you DO NOT remove any of the programs that come pre-installed with OS X. It's really just asking for trouble. They don't take up much room, especially on expansive new hard drives. I've been people start going, "Disk Utility, I don't need that", "Safari, I have FireFox", "TextEdit, I have Word", "Terminal, Console, Preview... I never use these". Yeah, that's going to be a disaster. Just leave them be.

2. To install a program, you usually just drag the icon (called an Application package) to the Applications folder. Then, just drag that to the dock and an alias (known as a shortcut in windows) will be created there. To remove an alias from the dock, just drag it out into space and it will disappear in a puff of smoke. Removing an alias from the dock does not uninstall a program - it is still safely in your Applications folder.

3. Go to "System Preference" then "Keyboard & Mouse". Under the "Trackpad" heading you can enable secondary click (to get a right click with two fingers on the track pad) and enable the clicking by tapping, rather than hitting the physical button.

4. I like the Logitech MX400. It's a great, cheap optical mouse.

12. Harryt223 thread starter macrumors member

Hi all, thanks for the great responses.

I had another question.

On my desktop window pc, I have a shared mp3 music folder. My windows laptop can play the mp3 files via wireless without needing to save them. However, with this MBP, it seems to download it before playing.... is there no way to stream it via wireless like windows xp??

13. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

use iTunes on the PC and turn on "Share my library on my local network" in iTunes' preferences under sharing and on the Mac turn on "Look for shared libraries".

14. Harryt223 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the help.

Just 1 question though, what if the PC computer doesn't have itunes? I have another PC I use to keep my music on, but it's using windows 98, so I don't think itunes can be installed on it?

15. davinche macrumors regular

davinche

As for a good mouse for the MBP I use the Logitech Nano VX, it is wireless not bluetooth. The usb receiver is so small that I leave it in the notebook at all times, and if you want to pull it out it stores inside the mouse.
    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/mice/devices/3271&cl=us,en
    The regular prices is like $70 but I got mine at Circuit City for $65.00 with $40 in mail in rebates, so final price was like $30 with tax after I got the rebates. I seen those rebates at other stores recently as well.

16. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

On the Mac go into iTunes preferences, click on advanced and the general tab, uncheck "Copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to library".

17. Slov macrumors newbie

I just purchased this mouse Saturday. Dell currently has it for $39.99 in case anyone is interested.

18. Harryt223 thread starter macrumors member

How does the itunes on apple find the windows pc?? I have it on look for shares libraries.. but how do I see them??

19. swmr macrumors regular

swmr

iTunes must be running on both computers, and the computer with the library that you are trying to find must allow other computers to access it. This can be done in preferances>sharing as stated above.

When your laptop finds the library, it will pop up in the left-hand side menu with a blue icon, probably called something like "Harry's iTunes Library," or whatever the windows account name is.

20. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

You don't have to run iTunes on the Windows box if you don't want to. Set up the shared folder on the pc as an smb share on the Mac, then open iTunes (on the Mac) and tell it to add those files to the library. Keep in mind that you'll only be able to use these tracks when the smb share is connected. To setup an smb share you'll need the Windows computer name and the share name, for example:

smb://computername/sharename

Once you have this info open finder and click go and then connect to server, type in the share address and click connect, you may have to provide a user name and password if so enabled on the pc, or you can log in as a guest.

21. wh!plash macrumors member

Some (most) apps aren't *totally* removed by just getting rid of it in your Applications folder.

Check under 'Library/Application Support/' to make sure the app didnt leave stuff there, and also under 'yourusername/Library/Preferences'

Garageband, iDVD, and other large apps leave a couple of GB of stuff in those places.

22. Harryt223 thread starter macrumors member

I tried this and it STILL would download/save the song on to my MBP HD.. instead of streaming it... :confused:

23. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Did you already do this?