a few MacBook questions before I buy

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Arbaz, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Arbaz macrumors member

hello, I have a few questions about MacBooks that I'd like answered before I go ahead and order my first Apple.

1. I want to get a black MacBook. is it's keyboard difficult to see?
    2. what is Apple's policy about dead pixels? how many can I have before I'll be allowed to return the notebook and get a new one?
    3. what about a car charger for MacBooks? I couldnt find one in Apple store.
    4. generally speaking, how many hours does MacBook's battery last in normal operation (web browsing, IM, word processing, etc)

thanks in advance.

2. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

1. I find the keys easy to see, but this type of thing is subjective. Most Windows laptops have been black for years, so...

2. I think you have to have a fairly high number of pixels, and they have to be concentrated in a fairly narrow area. There are frequent questions about this topic, so a search may yield the answer you need. Of the three Mac laptops I've owned, I've had a single pixel-related issue. My current MacBook is perfect.

3. You should be able to find an aftermarket converter. Plug your MacBook cord into the converter and away you go.

4. The battery seems to last approximately 3 hours, in my experience. Again, your mileage may vary.

I say, go ahead and buy. The MacBook is the best it's ever been; I bought one less than a year ago, and the new models this week left me wanting to buy a new one.

3. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I've used a friends MacBook before and the keyboard is surprisingly easy to use. In comparison to a standard Windows notebook PC the keyboard is MUCH better. It's a lot easier to use and you fingers rarely slide off the keys. At least that's how it was in my case and I have fairly large hands.

4. rhys105 macrumors regular

rhys105

yes, I have had only positive experiences with MacBooks. My advice would be to buy it and use it thoroughly for ages weeks, and then if you don't like it, you can return it.

5. Markf11 macrumors member

I have a few questions myself, but concerning software.

Obviously for Windows, there are alot of....*ahem* illegal cracks and things for expensive programmes.....if someone was to get a mac, but couldn't afford all the snazzy software, theoretically, would the software be easy to download and install ?

Also, the new Santa Rosa chips are at 800Mhz arn't they?
    i'm trying to use my student status to get a mac, but on the education store in the UK, the ram is still 667
    the difference isn't THAT noticeable probably... but i;d like to know that for 5 minutes i have something current

6. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Theoretically yes. Legally no. But does that stop anyone?

The SR chipsets and RAM are two different devices. The 800mhz SR chip is the frontside bus speed. The RAM is 667 mhz, and it is the fastest RAM stick you can buy for mac laptops. It will be 'current' for quite a while now that they have been just updated.