A few Macbook questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Yaboze, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Yaboze macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

Hi all,
    I'm mainly a PC user who is about to retire an old Dell and old iBook and get a Macbook SR. I have a few questions!

1. Transfer of data. I have never done this on a Mac, does it transfer just data or Applications as well? Safari Bookmarks?

2. Memory. I plan to go to 4GB. I'm going to buy it with 1GB and just get some 3rd party memory. Does the 1GB come as 2x 512meg units? Do I just pop them out and replace with 2x 2GB modules?

3. Should I put the memory in before I first boot up or after?

4. Are there any transparent type skins I can put over the top? My iBook is white and has a few scratches but I never bought anything for it. What is a good site for Mac skins/cleaner type stuff?

5. I have a iPod Classic 80GB which is setup for the PC (On the Dell, iBook HD was too small), since I am moving from both, so to speak, to the Macbook, what is the best way to move all my music over? 99% of it is ripped MP3's from my collection and the rest is stuff purchased from iTunes.

2. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

1. both.
    2. 2x2g works great!
    3. before....
    4. macstyles.com :)

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

3. After. this way, if there is anything wrong with the ram, you will know it's the ram, and not the Macbook (and vice versa).

5. Drag the contents of your "My Music" folder into the "Music" folder on the Macbook via network, or your your iPod.. or what ever's convenient for you.

4. bigbadnewill macrumors 6502

Also take a look at gelaskins.com

They have some pretty nice covers etc for iPods, macbooks etc. The ones for the Macbook only cover the top, ie the back of the monitor, but that'll stop a fair bit of wear and tear.

I like them over the macstyles, as they're more arty, one off type things. (they look that way anyways)

Enjoy the Macbook, i want one too :)

5. smooth macrumors 6502

smooth

I also went from a PC to a MacBook. I was having difficulty networking to transfer my files, so I just used an external hard drive. 99% of my files were music. Getting them into iTunes was very easy. I think it was automatic, I'm not sure.

However, you'll have to reformat your iPod which means it'll be wiped clean. The songs bought from iTunes did transfer before I did that though. It just took me a while to get all my playlists back up and running.

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

You don't have to reformat your iPod; it will already be in FAT32, which is readable--and writeable--by Windows and OS X. I started syncing mine back in November, and I haven't had any troubles with it.