A few MBP questions...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JasonDawg18, Mar 31, 2009.

1. JasonDawg18 macrumors regular

JasonDawg18

Hi friends,

I'm probably going to be leaving my job in the next 3 or 4 months, to pursue my freelance career more full-time. Whatever computer I have when I leave my job is mine to take with me (it's a long story).

I know the MBP's just got a small speed bump. The newer ones can also apparently support up to 8GB of RAM.

Two questions:
    1. On the MacRumors buyer's guide, it says not to buy a MBP now, because a new release is imminent. Do you think the speed bumped one that just came out is the last revision we'll see for a while? I've been using an old, first generation MBP, with 2GB Ram, 120GB Hard Drive for a while, not wanting to upgrade until I knew I'd be leaving soon. I've read lots of forums, but what do you think is a likely timeframe for a new release, and will we see anything more than a speed bump?

2. I'm a HEAVY photoshop/inDesign user. Do you think there will be much noticeable difference between 4GB and 8GB of RAM? Enough to justify the expense?

Thank you!

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

1. Im not quite sure why the buyer's guide is saying this. my guess is that it is either not up to date because the 2.53's were updated to 2.66. or they are talking about the new i7 core from intel. you said that you are leaving work in 3-4 months and i dont think that the new intel chip MBP's will be out by then

2. RAM always makes a difference. i would wait as long as possible to buy it. the DDR3 will be coming down in price in the coming months. 4GB is enough you just probably wont be able to have anything else open. but when the price comes down it will be a very nice upgrade for you. if you are worried you can get 6GB like i did. my thinking was i will bite the bullet for one stick of 4GB and when the price drops i will only have to buy one. also be sure to get a SSD when the 2nd Generation comes out.

3. The Confabulist macrumors newbie

You're in good hands with ViciousShadow21. I've seen some great advice come from him, and no doubt, he is spot-on with his recommendation regarding RAM. More RAM is always great, and if you wait those prices will come down.

EDIT: Just noticed that was his 666th post.... :O

4. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

oh great!! he's going to die then right?!?! haha.

5. The Confabulist macrumors newbie

Well... one of us! haha