A Few more Questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Stetwin, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Stetwin macrumors 6502

Stetwin

Just thought I would ask a few more questions to see if you guys can help me out before my iMac arrives :)

1). is the “1GB 200-pin SODIMM, DDR2 PC2-5300 memory module” available on crucial.com/uk perfectly compatible with the new edition iMac or will I have to wait until my iMac arrives and check the manual/system to see which it takes?

2). Does anyone know where I can purchase a 250GB MyBook Pro external hard drive in the UK? Also is this a reliable and high quality drive or should I look else where?

3). Does the iMac come with speakers? Or are they built in to the display? Also what quality are the speaker and are they very loud or should I look to buy some else where, what do you guys think of a Bose system?

4). How good are the USB ports on the keyboard, because my old PC had a keyboard with USB ports on it but my DSLR camera was unable to connect to them due to something to do with power, I cant remember what the exact problem was, also how many peripherals will the iMac allow before it cant support any more?

5). what are the applications included in iLife’08 and will it ship with my new iMac?

6). Apple TV…. What’s the point?

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

1. Go to crucial.com and use the Memory Advisor at the top of the screen.

2. No, but look at the product reviews at the Apple Store and Amazon to get an idea

3. iMac has speakers built into the display. They are surprisingly good but not a replacement for a stereo or even a good pair of external speakers. Listen to them first to see f they suit your needs.

4. The ports in older models were not powered. They are supposed to be powered enough now to charge and iPod but I don't know about your camera.

5. Garage Band, iWeb, iPhoto, iDVD, and iMovie. Yes, you will get it

6. The point is that you can stream music, photos and video to your fancy TV and not have to huddle around the computer. Essentially, Airport Express for video. No point if you don't need it.

3. blodwyn macrumors 65816

I'm not sure on this one. The memory vendors should be able to supply compatible memory as long as they know what model you're getting

I have 3x MyBooks: 2x 500GB and 1x 250GB. I had one 500GB drive failure so far. They do get warm when they're in use (but cool when idling). I have mine on an upturned wire mesh tray which allows air to enter the slots on the underside - this helps the air flow inside the drive considerably.

Yes, built into the display. They're OK but neither very loud or in any way hi-fi. IMHO Bose systems are well marketed but overpriced for what you get. Speakers are very subjective so it's basically up to whether you like them or not.

You'll probably have the same problem. The keyboard ports are meant for low power devices like Mice and ThumbDrives

iWeb, iMovie, Garageband, iPhoto, iDvd. Yes, it will ship with your iMac

Same as anything else - if you want what it does then there's a point, if not then move on

4. Stetwin thread starter macrumors 6502

Stetwin

That is the RAM that is advises so is it safe to say it will work and I can order it so its ready to install when my iMac arrives?

The product reviews are good but I’m only able to find a 320GB as the smallest one but I was sure they offered a 250GB one,

Yeah, I guess I will only know if I like them or not when I get them, is anyone able to compare them with the MBP speakers because I know what they sound like,

I guess I can wait and see, if need be I can plug the mouse in to the keyboard and power the camera from the rear,

So are these applications of much use or is it just like the free stuff you seem to get on PC's?

Ah, well since the UK only has a handful of TV shows and no movies available on iTunes then I guess it would just be a waste of £200 to play my music through my TV, I would be able to get a good iPod dock or home cinema system for that,

/Ste

5. Stetwin thread starter macrumors 6502

Stetwin

/Ste

6. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Well the memory I listed was from the memory advisor on there site so it should be compatible then?

Should be OK, if not then you can return it

So you would defiantly recommend one? Also does it just work with a Mac or is there a lot of setting up to be done before its Mac ready?

I think they're OK, I also have a couple of Seagate FreeAgent(?) drives that work fine and seem to run a little cooler. No setting up to do - just plug in and go, other than I formatted mine with the Mac filesystem

I guess I will only be able to tell once I get my iMac and can actually listen to them, what’s the chances of them breaking if I play my music at full volume?

You'll probably be OK, mine don't distort at full volume so I wouldn't expect any damage

So are these applications of much use or is it just like the free stuff you seem to get bundled with PC's?

They are totally usable fully fledged applications, absolutely un-typical of the stuff you get with PC's. Having said that, you may not use some of them if you're not into (say) creating music or movies.