A few n00b Q's about a home mac network.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TantalizedMind, Sep 1, 2007.

1. TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

Hey guys. I have a PowerMac G5 and G4 Cube. I wanted to use the Cube as a music server. Buy I didn't really want two monitors.. and I didn't really "want" to get a connecter that two computers can share one monitor. But if I must, I must.

Is there a way to import CD tracks on my G5 and just send them to be stored on the G4 so I can stream them to my G5? That way I don't waste space on my G5. I know I could get an external HDD for that, but I have a G4 Cube I don't even use.

Thanks guys!

2. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

The simplest (and free-est) solution would be to just get the cube up and running with a vnc server. You could then connect using vnc whenever you wanted to rip a new CD or work with it.

3. l33r0y macrumors 6502

Leopard comes with screen sharing built in, but I'm not sure if you are thinking of upgrading to it, or even if your hardware meets the minimum requirements (as they've not been published)

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

So, essentially, you want to use the Cube as an external hard drive.

Ok, here's what to do. You need to Enable File Sharing on the cube, then mount the Cube HD on your G5.

Now, change your iTunes music directory so that it now resides on your Cube.

5. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

That's a nice solution, swiftaw. Much more elegant than mine. It's more functional, too, since it will allow full iTunes use (party shuffle and such) which wouldn't be possible connecting remotely via iTunes.

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Turn auto-import on iTunes on the Cube. Then when you put in a CD it imports and then ejects. No need for a screen. Then stream to your G5.

There are a number of good ways of doing this.

7. TantalizedMind thread starter macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

What are the steps to stream it to my G5? I have the two macs connected to a router, and so far for "File Sharing" all I can do is use a Drop-Box... not access everything.

I need more guidence! Sorry and thanks guys!

8. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Oh, the iTunes streaming? That's the simplest to do. It is all done in iTunes.

Go to iTunes>Preferences>Sharing. Turn that on, no real need for a password. On your G5 go to same prefs in iTunes and look for shared libraries. All done. You'll see the Cube music show up in the G5 iTunes library.