A few noob questions...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ckesten, Jun 23, 2008.

1. ckesten macrumors regular

ckesten

Hello,

Transition is a little tougher than I thought it would be. Still much happier with mac over windows though.

Is there a way to minimize all windows at once, in windows theres the desk top icon you could click.

Also, when I import photos to iphoto, I put them all in albums. Where is the files root? Are the actually files located in iphoto or are they somewhere else?

When I had windows, I'd put pictures in say C:/pictures and could still put them in a photo album program such as picassa but i would know the root of the files are in C:/pictures. Where are these files in iphoto located if I imported them directly to iphoto?

Lastly, how do I put all files in an album into a zip. I know you are supposed to highlight them and go to apple then compress or something, but when I do it within iphoto, COMPRESS is always greyed out?

I appreciate the help!

craig

2. fastgraham macrumors member

To get rid of all windows at once, command+shift+W

Re photo question. I would make a folder on the desktop in finder (command +shift+N), name it "photos" or whatever. From Iphoto, drag the contents of the album into that folder. Then, in finder single click on your new folder to select it, the under file on the top of the screen, go to compress. This will make your new folder into a zip file.

I hope this helps.

Graham

3. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

4. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

iPhoto stores your pictures in your (home) user folder / iPhoto Library.

As previously posted, it's best to manage your photos through iPhoto since altering the iPhoto Library can lead to issues.

5. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

If you have iLife '08, then all the photos are physically in the iPhoto application.

I'm not sure exactly where they're at inside iPhoto (I don't have it in front of me right now), but here's a start:
    - go to Applications -> iPhoto
    - Right-click on iPhoto and click on "Show Package Contents"
    - It's somewhere in here

6. frenetic macrumors regular

I do not have iPhoto 08, but it would definitely surprise me if the pictures reside in the app itself. As an above poster already said, it is in the pictures folder in your homefolder.

As for zipping some pics: on your desktop create a folder, from iPhoto drag the pics in there, and once they are all copied right click the folder and choose "compress"

7. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

It is certainly not in the application!

Here's the typical path (from memory so please excuse any mistakes)
    /Users/username/Pictures/iPhoto Library

In the iPhoto library the default organization is not very intuitive, but there should be a folder called "Originals" and that is where the original pictures you imported are kept.

I've never done it they way you describe, for me the easiest way to get all album pictures into a zip is to create a folder on the desktop, then in the iPhoto Album sellect all (Command + a) and drag+drop those photos to the folder on the desktop and compress that.

You'll probably end up making a copy of all those pictures when you move them over (Apple has a handy little green and white plus sign appear on the cursor when that happens), so after you compress that folder you should trash the folder and keep the zip file.

8. ckesten thread starter macrumors regular

ckesten

9. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

Another way to show the desktop is to use CMD + expose shortcut (F3 on the new keyboards)

10. krye macrumors 68000

krye

If you've found the "originals" folder within the iPhoto Library, leave it alone! Apple warns that all photos that are added or deleted be done so from within the application itself. You are not supposed to make changes within the iPhoto Library folders. Doing so could trash your whole database.

11. The General macrumors 601

12. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I usually just switch to an unused space :)

13. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

Not on the brand spanking new keyobards it doesn't. That's the volume button. I'm guessing the OP has a new Mac :)

14. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

You can press the "fn" button then the F11 button to enter show desktop mode in expose ;)

15. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Sorry... I was confused. The pictures are located at /Users/username/Pictures/iPhoto Library like you said, but in order browse the pictures in Finder, you have to right-click on iPhoto Library and click on "Show Package Contents". The pictures are located in Originals or Modified depending what you are looking for.

I just wanted him to know about the whole "Show Package Contents" thing. A lot of new Mac users don't know about that.