Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kreuzberg

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
I'm pretty new to photography and I've been trying to improve my composition. These are a few of my recent attempts, what do you guys think? Any pointers for future reference?

Thanks!

kreuzberg

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
Thanks for the feedback guys!

Yes they are birds, they look a bit better in full size rather than compressed for Flickr but I agree that they should go. I just have to learn how to do it first! :)

The pictures are pretty much how I took them, I try not to mess around with them too much. 1 and 2 were taken just before sunset and I adjusted the saturation by 2-3% but nothing more than that.

They were just taken with a Hoya Skylight filter but since then I have bought a polarising filter so I'll have to see how that effects my next set of pics.

Any thoughts on composition?

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I like them a lot. I would change the cropping in the last one. There's a bit too much empty dark space.

Attachments

• 3699047459_d7aba81d69_b.jpg
    3699047459_d7aba81d69_b.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 63

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Compositionally these look pretty good. You should be proud if these are what you're coming out with early on.

One bit of advice, the eight third line is subconsiously preferrable for your mind to the left one. If you have a choice, place the object of interest there. Photo #1 may or may not have been recomposable, #2 certainly isn't, #3 certainly is.

SLC

kreuzberg

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
Thanks again for the feedback

Compositionally these look pretty good. You should be proud if these are what you're coming out with early on.

One bit of advice, the eight third line is subconsiously preferrable for your mind to the left one. If you have a choice, place the object of interest there. Photo #1 may or may not have been recomposable, #2 certainly isn't, #3 certainly is.

SLC

Sorry to sound too much like an amateur but what is the eight third line??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.