A few of my latest shots

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by kreuzberg, Jul 10, 2009.

1. kreuzberg macrumors member

I'm pretty new to photography and I've been trying to improve my composition. These are a few of my recent attempts, what do you guys think? Any pointers for future reference?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

#2 - what are those black spots? Are they sensor dust?

3. joro macrumors 68020

joro

At full size, the one on the far left has the shape of a bird. Although I would probably retouch the pic and remove them because they are quite distracting.

4. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Admittedly I'm looking at these from a laptop (ie. not the most color accurate screen out there) but I'd advise you to ease up on the saturation. These have a lot of it, and the colors don't really look natural either.

SLC

5. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

The exposure in the far left of number two could be fixed.

A filter to fix the sky perhaps? A UV filter on the lens.

6. kreuzberg thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Yes they are birds, they look a bit better in full size rather than compressed for Flickr but I agree that they should go. I just have to learn how to do it first! :)

The pictures are pretty much how I took them, I try not to mess around with them too much. 1 and 2 were taken just before sunset and I adjusted the saturation by 2-3% but nothing more than that.

They were just taken with a Hoya Skylight filter but since then I have bought a polarising filter so I'll have to see how that effects my next set of pics.

Any thoughts on composition?

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I like them a lot. I would change the cropping in the last one. There's a bit too much empty dark space.

Attached Files:

8. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Compositionally these look pretty good. You should be proud if these are what you're coming out with early on.

One bit of advice, the eight third line is subconsiously preferrable for your mind to the left one. If you have a choice, place the object of interest there. Photo #1 may or may not have been recomposable, #2 certainly isn't, #3 certainly is.

SLC

9. kreuzberg thread starter macrumors member

Thanks again for the feedback

Sorry to sound too much like an amateur but what is the eight third line??