A few OS X/Applications questions!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Enigmur, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Enigmur macrumors newbie

I just got my shiny new Macbook (it has Tiger installed at the moment).

I have a couple of questions regarding applications on the mac.

1) Playing WMA files with iTunes? Possible at all? If so, please direct me to a plugin – I’m currently using VLC instead.

2) Can iTunes store it’s music library on an external HDD? I tried adding songs and it imported them all onto the Mac HDD.

3) How do you properly uninstall/delete a program in OS X? I’m asking basically the equivalent of Add/Remove progs in windows.

4) Does anywhere know where I can download Parallels or Bootcamp? I believe Parallels may not be free.

5) When viewing pictures, is there a way to make Finder list all the picture files and show their thumbnails like Windows does?

6) Will a two button mouse work on the Macbook? I heard there is a way of getting both buttons to function?

7) Can you create shortcuts to things on the desktop – for example, to connect to my Windows XP shared drive, instead of having to go apple-K and connect to server?

8) Is there a way to add shortcuts to folders on the dock? Like I’d like to be able to view my Applications folder by clicking a shortcut on the dock or desktop.

Remember I am a very long time Windows user – hence the stupid questions with reference to windows.

I’m slowly getting my head around things, shortcuts are used 100% more than in windows. I managed to set up my Macbook on the wireless network, and I can also access a FAT32 partition I created.

Cheers all!

2. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

1) No idea, sorry - but Flip4Mac will allow them to play in Quicktime.

2) There may be scope to edit the iTunes library file to achieve this, but not tried it.

3) You 'properly' install and uninstall Mac programs by dragging them into the Applications folder and the recycle bin. That's it! Some (not many) programs can be uninstalled by running the original installer program, if you still have it.

4) You can get Parallels on their website (www.parallels.com), I understand there is a free trial. Also I hear VMWare Fusion is quite good.

5) There is an option for getting thumbnails for picture files in Tiger within the menu. Upgrade to Leopard though and this will happen automatically.

6) Yes a two buttoned mouse will function fine on a Macbook by default.

7) I recommend not doing this, it's a Windows-esque thing to do and not useful.

8) Yes in Tiger just drag the Applications folder from the Finder into the Dock. Drag and drop on the Mac is your friend.