Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JakobAloudMadge

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2013
I basically want to use a windows setup to play PC games and use some online stuff that doesn't work on mavericks, but I DON'T want windows to be my only operating system. My questions are:

Do I have to backup all of my data before going through with parallels?
Will mavericks still be there, or will windows be my only operating system?
Does the windows system work like an extra application like photoshop?

Jacksonc

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2013
Jony's house
I basically want to use a windows setup to play PC games and use some online stuff that doesn't work on mavericks, but I DON'T want windows to be my only operating system. My questions are:

Do I have to backup all of my data before going through with parallels?
Will mavericks still be there, or will windows be my only operating system?
Does the windows system work like an extra application like photoshop?

Parallels just adds a window to your Mac desktop with the Windows operating system. It's like having a PC and a Mac all in one.

JakobAloudMadge

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2013
Parallels just adds a window to your Mac desktop with the Windows operating system. It's like having a PC and a Mac all in one.

Does it take up any space? Does any windows operating system work with it, and can I play pc games that way?

Jacksonc

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2013
Jony's house
Does it take up any space? Does any windows operating system work with it, and can I play pc games that way?

It does take some space, just like any operating system. If you want to play 3d games, you might want to go with Bootcamp, unless you have a faster computer. What is your hard drive size, ram, and processor?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.