A few pet peeves or is it me?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ericinboston, Oct 21, 2009.

1. ericinboston macrumors 68000

Hi all. First, I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE my new iPhone 3GS!!!! Unbelievable!

However, I do have a few questions/pet peeves that you can confirm are "just the way it is" or I have a way to resolve these issues:

1)When I look at my "Recents" in the Phone area, I am shown an All button and a Missed button. However, the Clear button seems to wipe BOTH Missed and All when clearing. That's really annoying. I'd like to, say, clear only the Missed call list...not everyone who has called, I've called, I've missed, etc. Is there a way around this? If not, are others as bothered about this?

2)Related to #1, I wish there was a 3rd button at the top that stated Dialed...so I can have a list that shows just the #s I've dialed rather than having me sift through the endless list of All looking for the little phone icon thingy that represents I dialed outbound.

3)On another phone specific issue, I find it bothersome that when I want to call Fred, for example, I need to click on his name in the Contacts list, then click on his #. Why does the iPhone force me to click twice? Why not dial the bleeping guy?! I've looked in the Settings>Phone area for some kind of setting but alas have not found one. Also, most of my Contact names only have 1 phone #. I would understand if a person had more than 1 phone (mobile, office, home, etc) in the Contact definition but when it only has 1 #, it's a pain in the butt. Yes, I can add people to my Favorite...but I'm not going to add 100% of my Contacts to my Favorites. :)

4)On a non-phone related note, it seems the iPhone can only run 1 app at a time. For example, an app may have the option to take me to a website...but when I'm done with the website, the app has been closed. This is a pain if I accidentally click on an app's feature and POOF! I'm wisked away...why not have a "back" button or the ability to swipe my finger towards the right to indicate I wanna go back? This limitation seems to be what the new iDon't commercials highlight.

Anyway, I'm totally digging my iPhone...never thought I would really use all the non-phone features but I am hooooooooooooooooooked!

-Eric

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

You're absolutely correct on all four points and they all suck.

You can jailbreak and use backgrounder to run apps in the background but it's not going to change the way the OS functions. What I mean is you can get around the "one app at a time" issue but it's still going to close out whatever app you're in if you click a link and are taken outside of the app.

3. ericinboston thread starter macrumors 68000

Ok...thanks...so at least I'm not crazy and not the only one annoyed. The iPhone rocks, but the PHONE features have some less-than-desirable user interface capabilities...and since this is the 3rd (I think) gen of this phone, I would imagine these phone-related complaints have been around for awhile...I'm really amazed 1-3 still exist considering how nice the GUI is for the other phone features.

My most hated is the fact that I have to click all over the place to dial someone (point #3) unlike my 4+ year old RAZR that this iPhone replaced.

-Eric

4. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

The only reason I can think of as to why there isn't a 1-click dial default from the contacts list is so that you can simply click the contact to check an address, edit his or her info, that kind of thing.

5. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

That makes a lot of sense, actually.

Clever Apple...

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You can also have two different numbers for a contact, so that's probably also why.

7. jbernie macrumors 6502a

jbernie

But why wouldn't you go to Contacts for the address as opposed to going through the Phone function? Maybe the Phone "Contacts" is just the same as normal "Contacts" but a different presentation? Just asking as this has kinda annoyed me too.

Phone "Favorites" are auto dial. Maybe on the Contacts listing they could auto dial if there is no other information added, prompt if you list multiple numbers, and if you press & hold it takes you to the Contacts page for the entry?

8. ericinboston thread starter macrumors 68000

Exactly...Going to the Contacts area directly from the home page would likely be more intended for the user to find someone and edit/find detailed info about the particular Contact.

Apple could deploy a simple If...Then statement in the code so the phone is a bit more friendly and "smarter" when accessing the Contact list via the Phone feature.

It would be a simple, trivial code fix.

Or, even as simple, make it so you double tap it to dial...or put an icon on the Contact to dial (like, um, maybe a phone icon).

-Eric

9. tineofpower macrumors newbie

If you put a contact under your favorites in your phonebook you can 1-touch dial them. Thats what I do for the people I call the most.

10. ericinboston thread starter macrumors 68000

another pet peeve

Another pet peeve:

When my phone is locked (which probably 99% of people lock) and a call comes in, my only choice is to answer it! There is no "decline" option...or some kind of button to silence the ringing (maybe I can switch it to vibrate/silence but that's not the point...and likely I would forget to turn off the vibrate/silence). I would like (as all of my old cells) to press a button to dump the caller to voice mail and stop ringing. This option does not seem to be anywhere while the phone is locked.

I can understand that Apple may not want thieves stealing your phone and declining calls, but sheeeeez...how about being able to unlock the phone AND THEN have the choice of answering or declining.

Anyone else hate this?

-Eric

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Just press the power button.

12. ericinboston thread starter macrumors 68000

I just tried that...Pressing the power button when the phone is locked and ringing silences the call...but the call keeps on ringing.

So I got 1/2 of my answer. :) Thanks!

Any way to dump the person to vmail like the DECLINE feature?

13. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Press the power button twice.

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Don't need to do this.

Wrong, pressing the power button stops the ringing. You got your whole answer.

15. Tu13es macrumors regular

Pressing the power button once silences the call but lets it continue to ring. Pressing it again sends it to voicemail.

16. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

What do you mean by "continue to ring." To me, that means you can hear the ringing. Since it is silenced by pushing the power button, why would you need to push it again? It goes to voice mail.

17. djltoronto macrumors member

nope...

Pressing the power button once, silences the ringer only. "also, vol up/or down will also silence the ringer while it's ringing"

Pressing the power button twice, declines the call immediately

page 32 of the userguide :apple:
    http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/iphone_user_guide.pdf

18. djltoronto macrumors member

Continue to ring... as in... does not go directly to voicemail. It continues to ring, you just can't hear it - the caller can hear it.

19. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

See my post above yours.

I guess I think differently. I don't want someone to know I declined their call, since that's what they'll know if they immediately go to VVM. They can listen to the rings and go to VVM. The point is I don't have to have it interrupt me in a meeting or if I just don't won't to talk to them. So, for me, one tap of the power button is all I'll ever do.

20. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Yeah, but it still goes thru the series of rings before going to voicemail- which basically ties up your phone for 6 or 8 rings or however many it is..Very annoying when you're doing something on your phone.. Press it twice and the ringing stops and the call goes immediately to voicemail and you can resume what you where doing..

Once, silences the ring- twice goes immediately to voicemail

21. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Rather than tapping twice you could hold the home button and say "call john mobile" Ur friends will like that ;)

22. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Okay, I never noticed it kept me from doing anything, so if it does, then that would be a good use for the two taps.

23. Oskee2001 macrumors regular

The solution to that is to use Proswitcher so you get PalmOS-style cards that come up and you can easily switch between apps:

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/1...ages-webos-cardsstyle-multitasking-ui-iphone/

i have it on mine and it works flawlessly.

24. NathanA macrumors 6502a

That's great, and I largely agree, but the answer that was given wasn't directed at you. It was directed at the OP who specifically requested a "decline" feature that sends the call straight to voicemail. And he got his wish...the feature is there. :)

Also, from the caller's perspective, I don't think there is any way for him/her to know that the call has been declined vs. you are just in a poorly-serviced area (if the phone isn't communicating with any towers, you likely won't hear the full complement of rings...it'll just go straight to voicemail, or maybe you'll hear a couple rings or half-a-ring or what-have-you).

-- Nathan

25. ericinboston thread starter macrumors 68000

Were these addressed in new OS?

Now that iPhone 4 is out and a new OS (that is supposedly available for us 3G users), I'd like to revisit my original post that started this thread. Does anyone know if the below 3 are fixed in the new OS or phone? The Apple PDF manual that was linked/posted on MR this morning is corrupted.

1)When I look at my "Recents" in the Phone area, I am shown an All button and a Missed button. However, the Clear button seems to wipe BOTH Missed and All when clearing. That's really annoying. I'd like to, say, clear only the Missed call list...not everyone who has called, I've called, I've missed, etc. Is there a way around this? If not, are others as bothered about this?

2)Related to #1, I wish there was a 3rd button at the top that stated Dialed...so I can have a list that shows just the #s I've dialed rather than having me sift through the endless list of All looking for the little phone icon thingy that represents I dialed outbound.

3)On another phone specific issue, I find it bothersome that when I want to call Fred, for example, I need to click on his name in the Contacts list, then click on his #. Why does the iPhone force me to click twice? Why not dial the bleeping guy?! I've looked in the Settings>Phone area for some kind of setting but alas have not found one. Also, most of my Contact names only have 1 phone #. I would understand if a person had more than 1 phone (mobile, office, home, etc) in the Contact definition but when it only has 1 #, it's a pain in the butt. Yes, I can add people to my Favorite...but I'm not going to add 100% of my Contacts to my Favorites.

On an additional note...would be nice to have a longer History in the browser...maybe user-configurable so I can keep history up to 90 or 120 days if I wish. Would also be nice to have a simple "redial" button somewhere since, alas, ATT loves to drop calls.

Thanks in advance, all.

-Eric