iPad A few pointers to Ipad 5 being due out soon?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gadget123, Oct 30, 2012.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

*The new slate black design for Ipad mini.
    *Nano Sim being on Ipad mini but not Ipad 4.
    *The new speaker design.
    *Slimmer than current Ipad.

That's why I'm holding off buying Ipad 4. I expect a full redesign in the spring but keeping the A6X and 720p Facetime in Spring 2013.

2. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Plus, it can't make pancakes yet.

3. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ipad mini looks so much better than the 3rd 4th gen Ipad.

If it was a 9.7" model out now I would upgrade..the 4 isn't a good update roll on Spring. :D

4. MacinTosh.0 macrumors member

It won't come out in the Spring. Most likely at the end of Summer or early fall. I really don't think Apple is going to stick it to people again with updates/revamps every six months. I'm about to sell my 3 for the 4. I really want to switch all my stuff to lightning connector. The 4 is pretty good upgrade in my opinion. My iphone 5 is crazy fast on this A6 processor. I definitely notice a big difference between my ipad 3 and iPhone .

Anyways, it won't be released in Spring.

5. MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

Yeah, I second the opinion that there will not be another update in the spring.

After reading these forums each day (while also getting super excited for my upcoming 4th gen iPad), a lot of people seem unhappy that Apple updated the iPad 7 months after. I think this is only because Apple wanted to introduce the iPad Mini before the holidays and wanted to stay consistent by also updating the large iPad. And from here on out, it will always be an October-October refresh cycle. Here are some more pointers I can throw out:

1. Back to school promo every summer (for USA, at least) is created to help rid the stock on the iPods that will be updated in September. This also works well with the iPads that would theoretically be updated in October.

2. Releasing an iPad every 6 months from now on wouldn't be a smart marketing strategy (at least for Apple's sake).

3. Releasing both iPods and iPads before the holidays boosts holiday sales dramatically, which wouldn't be accomplished if the iPad was updated in March.

4. And lastly, it was for the lightning connector. If the iPad were released in March, it would be the last latest product to inherit the lightning port. Apple's decision to refresh early satisfied this goal, as well as making the new release cycle feasible for maximizing their profits and clearing inventory as much as possible before the new release.

Yeah, people got angry. But for every new change there is always some sort of compromise that people have to make (especially to keep growing a business like Apple wants to do).

6. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes but March keeps to the usual cycle where it can revert back to one a year.

I think a slimmer, nicer Ipad is in the works sooner it comes the better. The Ipad 4 is just like the Ipad 3.

----------

But maybe they never really wanted to release the Ipad 4 just because mini was due they wanted the HD facetime and new connector?

You can't tell me between Ipad 3 they have not been working on a new design?

We have just seen the mini one, new speakers, thinner, slate black...

No I reckon Ipad 5 will be the same inside as Ipad 4 HOWEVER March 2013 will be the release of a thinner one to bring it inline with Ipad mini and Iphone 5.

7. sparks9 macrumors 6502a

I agree. A full redesign to match the mini. Will probably be out May or June. The current big iPad is too fat and heavy.

8. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

I think Apple are probably working on it right now. If it can be due in March it might be. The rumours will probably start soon but we have seen things been held off a few months like the Iphone 4S.

I hope it's out soon. The new design is great on Iphone 5, Ipad mini will also have nice materials too but too small and lacks good features. Roll on this new Ipad.

Ipad 4 is just last years tech with a new connector.

9. jigzaw macrumors 6502

This stuff makes me nuts because I want an iPad but now I'm stuck not knowing when I should buy. I kinda want to run to the store on Friday and buy the 4, but if it's going to be replaced by a better one for the same price in March (which is only 5 months away) then screw that, I can wait. I guess I'm waiting on the manufacturing rumor mill.

I understand all the arguments about waiting forever and if I was confident there won't be a new/faster/lighter/thinner 10-inch iPad until next Fall, I would definitely buy now.. but Apple has made it clear that they have no bones about declaring 6 months a "generation". I can wait until March.

On the other hand... if the 3 was as poor a performer as I'm hearing, then maybe the first thinner/lighter retina iPad will also be underpowered and overheating and I should wait for the iPad 5S.. which means i can go ahead and get the current 3S (4) for now and wait at least a couple years before getting a well-made thinner/lighter 10-incher. This is all very confusing. If Apple is not putting out a new iPad until next Fall they should issue a press release assuring customers that the 4 is here to stay for at least the better part of a year.

10. KenAFSPC, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012

KenAFSPC macrumors 6502a

The iPad 4 is as thick as it is for a reason -- to accommodate a battery sufficient in size to provide 10 hours of battery life on the Retina display. There is nothing in the pipeline between now and March that would make a significantly thinner, lighter iPad 5 possible.

The iPad 4 already incorporates a new optically bonded screen to minimize internal reflections and improve display quality. The next-generation iPad will likely incorporate in-cell touch sensing, but that would only reduce thickness by 0.2mm or less. The use of a Sharp IGZO panel would allow Apple to reduce the size of the battery, to produce shave off 1-2mm, but Sharp will not have the capacity to manufacture high-resolution IGZO panels in Apple-like volumes until 2H 2013, which rules out a spring 2013 release. Apple, Qualcomm, and TI plan to produce more efficient components based on TSMC's 20nm manufacturing process, but those parts won't be available in volume until around this time next year.

11. MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

But why would Apple want to make another early refresh in March? It just doesn't sound logical from a business perspective.

In my opinion, Apple didn't make the iPad 4 thinner, nor did it make any changes to the design. It's probably due to the current components taking up more room, allowing Apple to distinguish the iPad from the Mini, and because it's probably saving them money. There always needs to be room to grow, and the design is one of those Apple is going to wait on.

12. Dstopsie macrumors 6502a

Well said, I agree also!

13. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Is this speculation or is the shipping version of the 4th gen a change in how the display is manufactured?

I don't recall anything about the display tech being addressed in the media event?

Cool if it's improved, cool if it's the exactly the same since it's pretty fantastic :D

14. urkel, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012

urkel macrumors 68030

You forgot a few things.

- Optically Bonded Glass is used on every NEW Apple product EXCEPT the iPad4 (iMac, MBPr, Touch, iPhone, Mini)
    - Wide bezels make iPad look out of place with current iOS family
    - New thinner camera internals was intended for ultra thin devices yet iPad4 is still fairly thick
    - Overall its a fairly weak update that doesnt provide enough of a comparative advantage to lead a more competitive 2013 tablet market.

My theory is that the reason Apple wanted the iPad4 out early is to introduce Lightning so that when the iPad5 is released then it transitions easily to the "budget" $399 spot without having the legacy connector of the iPad 3. The only big question is "when" and my guess is Spring.

(CNet's shot of 3 current gen iOS products. The iPad4 design just looks out of place)

Attached Files:

15. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

I don't think they'll wait until late fall again. That would put all of the key iOS refreshes out during the holidays.

Pushing out an iPhone refresh in late September allows the initial demand to slow in time for holiday shopping, plus phones aren't always plausible gifts--depending on the buyer's upgrade date with their carrier.

Putting out iPads this late in the year could prove to be an error, especially with a major redesign. If demand is high or there are supply constraints, it could lead to buyers looking elsewhere when their item of choice isn't available.

I don't think Apple is worried that some people are unhappy about the quick refresh. They can't hold back progress to appease fragile tech-egos.

With the restructuring that just occurred, I'd bet we see less consistent product cycles. Ive isn't going to put his stamp on something until it's ready. If he's expected to do otherwise, he wouldn't have taken the job or will quickly leave. That guy has plenty of money, he's not doing it for money anymore. He's doing it for passion, he's made his millions.

In the long run, that will mean more people will buy what's available, and not be tempted to wait until the next refresh. If a new iPad is released every March like clockwork, no one will buy one in January or February. If it could be anywhere from 6-18 months away, people will just make a decision and buy. Those cyclical sales slow downs really hurt Apple's financial performance, and the pent up demand then hurts product availability at launch.

Long story short, we'll see a 5th gen iPad when it's ready, be that in 6 months or a year. A target may be in place for launch, but I'm hoping the days of scheduled releases are over.

16. 53x12 macrumors 68000

53x12

I bet a new iPad 5 + new iPad mini next spring sometime. Something like iPad 5 to get the iPhone 5 camera and same back as iPhone 5/iPad mini. New iPad mini to have retina display, better camera,

A funny video if you haven't seen it yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os87PLlyU4k&list=UUiC9uvJxy0Ax5-jcd5QDkmA&index=1&feature=plcp

17. seajewel macrumors 6502

The design of the iPhone 5 and materials cut down on weight significantly. I disagree with you that there is nothing currently that would make an iPad significantly thinner and lighter. Even the new Nexus 10 has a higher resolution screen and claims 9 hrs of video playback. I'm sure that since the 3 was out or before apple has been working on a thinner, lighter iPad. Their R&D team did not have to do much for the iPad 4.

18. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

the iPad 4 is really the 3S

I'm not buying it, because it'll be updated soon (lighter, thinner)

and I'm not getting the mini because it doesn't have retina

they are crafty sales-people

i'm good with the Iphone 5 and A1181 MacBook and will be upgrading my MacBook with an iPad, but not this time

19. doboy macrumors 68000

I think they will keep Sept-Oct refresh going forward for the new iPad and maybe move up the iPhone back to mid-summer time. Mac updates should be in the spring-early summer.