A few pre-purchase questions about the MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by greenythebeast, Jul 9, 2008.

1. greenythebeast macrumors regular

Hello fellow Mac lovers. I have a few questions before I decide which MacBook Pro I'm going to buy later this month.

1. This is more of an assumption than a real question. I assume that going from 2.4ghz-->2.5ghz-->2.6ghz there is not a big difference in terms of processing power. Is that correct?

2. The 2.4ghz version only comes with 3MB cache while the higher versions come with 6MB cache. In what situations would that come in handy and will I benefit from a larger cache when using Photoshop and playing games?

3. The video card issue is really confusing to me. I'm going to be playing games and using Photoshop on my MBP and at first thought 512MB VRAM was the way to go. But now I hear that the card can only use 256MB of it? So my question is for using Photoshop and playing games like Sins of a Solar Empire will 256MB VRAM be enough to use those apps at with settings at their highest or close to highest?

Thanks for helping me pick out what MBP I'm going to get. If I have anymore questions I'll make sure to add them!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You really, really, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY don't want to buy later this month.

Unless Steve gets an aneurism and releases Montevina MacBook Pros this month.

1. You're right; there's not much increase in performance. Spend the money you save not upgrading the CPU on RAM (third-party!)

3. Why would they put 512 in there if it could only see 256?

3. greenythebeast thread starter macrumors regular

I misspoke about the purchase date. I'm really only considering purchasing later this month. I'm most likely going to wait to see if they upgrade the MBPs to the Montevina platform. Regarding the video card, I have heard that because it is only a 128 bit video card it cant use all 512MB of VRAM. I could be mistaken but that's what I've been hearing from a lot of people.

4. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Don't believe everything you hear (probably from Windows users ha ha) the 512 card is a 512 card. I have the MBP with it and it certainly made a big difference to me from my previous one.

I don't believe Montevina will be a big deal. Obviously there will be some benefit to it otherwise why would Apple bother using it, but I think the difference compared to the current line won't be ground breaking.

5. greenythebeast thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone have any answers to the second question about cache?

6. bornchilla macrumors member

Keep in mind that Photoshop's performance mostly depends on CPU not GPU.

This is probably the worst day in my Apple history. I am currently in the US leaving for Europe in 2,5 weeks. I was planning on buying a Macbook Pro next week but with the latest rumors about a possible update....
    ... here I am, on the horns of a dilemma...

7. greenythebeast thread starter macrumors regular

I have another question. Do Apple Retail stores do hard drive upgrades? If so, does anybody know how much it costs? I'm not sure if I'm good enough to open up my MBP without breaking something. :rolleyes:

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If you wait and get Montevina, the case will have easier access to the HDD... provided the case that's been flying around is real and for the MacBook Pro.

It's really not that hard a job. Just label groups of screws and keep them separate.

9. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

AFAIK they do not have them in stores to do upgrades. They only order replacement parts.

Why not just get the size HD you want from the get-go and not worry about it? :confused:

10. greenythebeast thread starter macrumors regular

iShater, I'm probably going to get a 320GB or 500GB drive which Apple doesn't provide in any configuration.

11. Sirus2400 macrumors regular

AFAIK Apple Stores will stock some of the most popular configurations, so they will sometimes have a few with hard drive upgrades already installed in stock. If you have a few Apple Stores in your area, give them a call to see what their MBP stock is.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No the only upgrade they will perform at the store is a RAM upgrade to Apple branded RAM.

Everything else they will recommend you to certified Apple technician or we here would say do it yourself.

13. Standard macrumors regular

[​IMG]

Your card only is 128-bit and able to access 256mb of the GPU's power, sorry to disappoint you.

14. greenythebeast thread starter macrumors regular

So it would make no sense to go for the 512MB card? That's exactly what I've been hearing. Anyway, the only big question I have left is regarding the cache differences between the 2.4ghz and the 2.5ghz. Thanks!

15. Standard macrumors regular

The 512mb GPU is a waste of money. I do not know about the cache.