A few problems I'm having with Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by SBradford, May 7, 2012.

1. SBradford macrumors member

Hey guys, firstly my Lion purchase has gone from the App Store (it doesn't say installed if I go into the app store; it says the price £20.99 to buy it again), this is a problem because I was going to do a clean install in a few months to remove all the junk I've accumulated over the last year.
    Secondly, I'm having an issue with full screen apps. If I am on the main desktop window and I click a full screen icon in the dock(that's already open, ie Chrome) I have to click it twice before the desktop switches to it. If I click it one the menu bar at the top for that program will come up, but only clicking it again will make the actual program come up.

Thanks.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

You don't state the specs. of your machine, or what it shipped with? I'm guessing SL.

Sounds like you have installed Lion, but left behind a few undersized items.

If you can, back up everything critical, (It's better to do a clean install now then plod along with one that only just about works)

Then create a USB installer from:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433

You can use an external HDD for this, just follow the prompts.

3. SBradford thread starter macrumors member

sorry the specs are Macbook 7,1 4GB RAM, yes it came with SL.
    I don't quite understand what the difference between Lion Recovery Disk Assistant (on USB) and just Recovery HD are? Are you suggesting I just reinstall it via the recovery partition (my files won't be affected this way, I think?) or do you suggest a completely clean install (which is one of my problems - I cannot download the Lion file from the App Store because it no longer says I have Lion installed.)

4. Macman45, May 7, 2012
    Last edited: May 7, 2012

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yes. Follow the link. If you upgraded from Sl to Lion, the App store will show "Purchase" as oppose to "Install" Create the USb or external hdd image, then make sure your internet connection is live.

AFTER making sure the image cash be mounted, go into DU and erase the lion partition

Then attach the USB recovery image (Stick or drive)

Boot whilst holding down the option key, and choose the image you created using the link I posted above.

5. SBradford thread starter macrumors member

hi thanks for the reply. I managed to get the Lion download from the App Store (for some reason it was a hidden purchase.)
    Do you recommend I go straight ahead and do a clean install?
    Or could I possible try to reinstall it first? (which saves me having to spend hours transferring my files to another laptop - I don't own any other better method for storing my files.)

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Bit late getting back to you...you have probably already done it by now, but yes, a fresh install even though it's a pain is worth the effort!

7. SBradford thread starter macrumors member

Hey no worries about that. I actually reinstalled it and it does seem to be running A LOT smoother this time around, I will definitely do a fresh install sometime soon, or when I start noticing slow downs again.
    As to the other problem I had about not switching straight away to the full-screen app is apparently a "feature" in Lion, and to change it you go into Setting, Mission Control, and tick "When switching to an application, switch to a space with open windows for the application."

Thanks for your help.