Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

istanbul05

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2007
Hi i am planning on purchasing a Macbook in the near future and i am going to get the medium spec version of the Macbook. I intend to upgrade the Ram and Hdd myself to 4Gb and a bigger and maybe faster Hdd.

1) Will changing these components void my warentee (Or Applecare , which i am also going to buy)? Should i keep the originals, so i can just put them back in if i need something replacing, or will it be okay to sell them?

2) Which Hard Drive would be better? I could probably live comfortably with 200GB but i figured i may aswell get a 250Gb just in case i needed the extra storage in the future. Also bear in mind the 200Gb Seagate is a little more expensive than the WD 250Gb. Will the extra rpm make a difference?

A)250GB Western Digital WD2500BEVS Scorpio, 2.5", SATA150, 5400 rpm, 8MB Cache, 12 ms

Or

B) 200GB Seagate ST9200420AS Momentus 7200.2, 2.5", SATA300, 7200 rpm, 16MB Cache, 11ms

3) When trying to install a the OS on the new hard drive what is the best possible method? I have read that i could buy an enclosure for my hdd to clone the original one onto it. However i'd prefer not to have to buy an enclosure if possible. I have an external Hdd (WD Passport) for my PC, which uses USB. Could i use that to clone the original drive, then boot from it and clone it onto the new drive?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

MarlboroLite

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
the 13 colonies
First off, changing the HD and RAM will not void the warranty, on MacBooks, they are user replaceable parts, so go ahead and upgrade.

Secondly, the extra RPM might be offset by the extra storage because the more free space you have the faster the drive is....I'd say go for the 250.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.