A few Questions about a MACBOOK 13" 2.4

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by egk69, May 23, 2009.

1. egk69 macrumors 6502

Hi, i was thinking about buying a Macbook and i have so many questions and no one to answer , so i guess you guys can help me!?

Ok I think i want something like
    MacBook 13" 2.4
    4GB RAM
    320GB HDD

But i was thinking about buying it on EBAY cause i have to pay NO TAX! , But the thing is, i cant find one like that, most of the macbooks on ebay are "stock" ( < !? you know the basic model should i say?)...

So i was thinking about ME! changing the HDD and RAM (it looks fairly easy even for someone that haves never work with a computer before, and i have done it before)
    BUT!, which RAM am i supposed to buy? and Were!?
    the Same goes for the HDD!

Also, On Apple website, the APPLECARE cost 250 and everyone on ebay sell it for 135-150.
    Why!? and how is that possible?? Somebody here have bought it??

Can somebody here help me!!??

THANKS IN ADVANCE
    CARLOS :D

BTW: I've never own a MAC!

Im tired of stupid Windows!, every PC or laptop i own just lags as hell, it freeze and i dont know, if its me!?, but this makes me mad, i cant even have pictures or my Music (like 30GB) on my Laptop , and it have Good specs for like 2 years ago, its not that old , i've formated it like 5 times cause it reach the point were it becomes useless even for just web browsing, and well I desided to give a try to mac!?

Or should i just buy another (up to date) Windows Laptop!?!?:confused:

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Im not that tech savy and I managed to upgrade the ram and HDD in my macbook. In relation to the ram, when you get your macbook's , run the crucial ram updater program.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/

It will tell you what RAM your mac uses and how much to upgrade it.

For the hard drive any 2.5" sata should work, even an SSD.
    Have a look on youtube and watch some videos about upgrading ram and hard drive in a macbook.

3. jtibbitt macrumors regular

jtibbitt

Hi. yes, you can find good Applecare deals on Ebay, much better than the Apple website. And changing the HDD and RAM is very simple. The only issue is reinstalling the operating system onto the new hard drive. But that is not something that should stop you. It is simple enough that a child could do it. Just insert the discs that come with your new computer and follow the instructions. You might have to reformat the HDD before doing so, but the discs also tell you how to do that (very simple).

4. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

If I were you, I'd take a look at the refurbished MacBooks on the Apple Online Store. You may have to pay tax, but you'll still pay less in the long run. DO NOT pay Apple for extra RAM or a bigger HDD. It takes literally 10 minutes to install RAM and a HDD (and that's taking your time). As for reinstalling OS-X when you install a new hard drive, it's a simple process. Just hop onto YouTube and you'll be able to find a tutorial if you want a step by step guide to do it. Finally, if you do end up buying a new HDD and installing it, make sure you get a 7200RPM HDD (Apple only gives the MacBooks 5400RPM drives). A higher RPM drive will give your MacBook a little speed boost. Best of luck with your purchase.

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Sorry to kind of high jack the thread buy how much vibration do you feel from a 7200rmp drive?

6. Jim82 macrumors member

You can buy the RAM from an online place like OWC (macsales.com) I think it's only like 40-60 bucks now and if you send in your RAM from your Macbook they will give you 15-20bucks. You just need DDR3 I think it's 1066mhz ram. But they have a tool on there that walks you through it so you get the right RAM for your Mac.

The HDD can be bought their also, Newegg.com, buy.com or you can go to BestBuy or some other place like that, buy a WD external USB powered HDD for like 80-100 bucks. If you get the external USB powered one you can take the 250gig hdd out of the MacBook and place it in to the USB hdd case and use it for extra storage so you don't have a wasted hdd lying around.
    Just get a laptop HDD that is no taller the 12cm I believe is the limit, and it's a 2.5in 5400 or 7200rpm. As with the RAM most of the above sites will walk you through so you get the right HDD.

Both are user replaceable parts and super easy to do. Just make sure you reformat the HDD once you put it in to the Mac from the disk utility menu on the OSX disk.

As for apple care, just be careful and read the comments of the buyer. They could just be selling you a box with an apple care number that is no longer active. You can try Amazon.com, or even Apple.com and just go to the student website and it's 66bucks off; so it will bring it down to 183.

7. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

if you're worried about tax www.vanns.com - authorized mac reseller. I just bought my mini off of there a while back. Also check out amazon.com. Both have FREE shipping.

I upgraded the ram in my GF's iMac, my MacBook, and Mini. It's EASY. Youtube has instructional videos if you need it.

Don't pay that extra $ upgrade yourself!

8. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

love your name by the way:p!

i would look at the refurb ones on the apple store. i would be careful about buying applecare of ebay, most people done have problems but sometimes the do sell dodgy ones.

its very, very easy to change the ram and hard drive (if the back is like the MBP).

9. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Actually, after finding the "correct" AppleCare product for your specific macbook, the comments (feedback) from the buyers are the most important.

Huh? So my 6 month old white macbook's warranty is null because I swapped out the drive and memory? Apple even gives instructions on how to do this on their site.

If you know something I don't then please clarify.

10. Jim82 macrumors member

LOL, that's what I meant. Long overnight shift at work.

11. Jim82 macrumors member

Huh? So my 6 month old white macbook's warranty is null because I swapped out the drive and memory? Apple even gives instructions on how to do this on their site.

If you know something I don't then please clarify.[/QUOTE]

You're right, that's the MBP I was thinking of. not the MB..

12. egk69 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, I decided if i buy it i will upgrade it my self.

Anther Questions:
    -Is there a MSN Messenger for maC?!
    -Would you recomend a MAC to someone that have use Windows for the past 12+ years!?
    -Would i adapt easily to it?
    -Is there something that you dont recomend about the (MACBOOK 13" 2.4) or about MAC OS it self!??

13. GedBlue macrumors member

GedBlue

There is MSN Messenger for mac, though the actual design and features of it are poor. You can use something called Adium, which is a great messenger software that allows you to use msn, facebook chat, and almost any other type of messenger you can think of, all in one nice package.

After 12 years of using Windows, a mac will blow you away with its reliability, usefulness, sensible design, and so on. It's never too late to switch.

I fully adapted to using a mac after less than a month, and any questions can be answered on this site really easily.

Also, you can always run Windows on your mac by using bootcamp or parallels software, so no compatibility issues.

Hope that helps!

14. aethelbert macrumors 601

I would recommend that you take a look at Windows 7 and mac OS and try them both out before making such a decision. It will likely come down to being a matter of personal preference.

15. Germwise macrumors regular

+1 for that.

Windows 7 is i think the best windows EVER. Its fast, clean, stable, intuitive. It really gives OSX a run for its money.

If you've used windows for so long, try both and see which you prefer.

Windows 7 is free for the next year too

16. egk69 thread starter macrumors 6502

I dont know, you guys know that the HARDWARE in the last 12 years have advance A LOT! i remember my 1st PC, it was an IBM and it was like 500mhz and that was supposed to be fast!! LOL!, the hardware right now its like 4times better than 12 years ago, and still the PCs have the same problems, what could it be?, Maybe its windows!?

Well just for an UPDATE:

I decided to buy the Macbook.
    -2.4Ghz
    -4GB
    -320GB 7,200rpm HDD
    -3yr Apple Care

for 1,850 , you think thats a great deal!?, I compared to Apple website and it seems I save like 400 bucks! :D which looks like a good deal for me.
    I let you know what i think when i recieve it...

17. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Yeah, that's a good deal. Did you buy off ebay?

18. egk69 thread starter macrumors 6502

yes