A few questions about buying the 3G iPhone...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Deadman64, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

I just had a few questions I needed clarified. Hopefully its not too much trouble.

I'm in a family plan, and we all are eligible for an upgrade. I can get the iphone at the discounted price right?

And concerning the data plans....I already have unlimited text on my phone. Could I just add the lowest iPhone data plan and be set?

Also, does current iPhone 16gb owners feel as if they have enough space?

Thanks, I appreciate you reading.

2. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Yes and yes.

3. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

There is only one data plan for the 3G iPhone and its $30/month

4. Deadman64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ouch...so with unlimited texting im looking at an extra 50 a month.

5. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Texting is separate from the data plans - at least as far as we know today...

If you have unlimited FAMILY texting ($30/month per account, not per phone), that would cover texting for all of your phones (iPhone or not).

If you have unlimited texting on an individual phone ($20), then you could keep that for one iPhone (if that is the only phone that is texting), or for an additional $10/month (for your whole account, not per phone), you can upgrade to unlimited texting for all of your phones.

For data, you are looking at an extra $30/month PER iPhone for data...

Your total monthly increase would be $30 x the number of iPhones you get + any change in your texting plan.

6. icer619 macrumors newbie

That's a huge problem I have with the idea of getting an iPhone.
    I wonder if there's a service that allows you to send text messages via the web, like Callwave. I don't use that currently, and I don't know if your phone still needs to have a texting plan, I'm just looking for alternatives.

7. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

You can send txt messages via e-mail, and some phones can send txt's to e-mail addresses (although the iPhone can't).

For me though, using e-mail breaks up the immediacy of the txt message. That may sound dumb if you don't send many txt's. The nice thing about txt messaging is that they are quick and short. E-mail is not quick, and often not short. You use them for two very different things.

Also not sure you would be able to get people to send you txt messages to your e-mail address - at least not if you get many of them.

This is the same reason why people complain about the lack of MMS. I KNOW alot of people don't agree with this, but I am going to mention here. Not being able to send MMS messages it not a big deal to me, but it's tough to expect people to follow special procedures just to send you a picture.

Maybe I have just been using a Mac long enough to remember the days when "we were always different", and didn't interoperate with the rest of the world very well. Thats what the lack of MMS reminds me of...