A few questions about general use in Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by lukekarts, Aug 9, 2011.

1. lukekarts macrumors regular

I've tried searching but I'm obviously not typing the right things. Anyway.

1. When I install new Apps from the App Store, why don't they appear on the dock? This seemed to happen in SL; but I can't find the setting in Lion.

2. System Preferences - seems to crash nearly every time I go into it, regardless of where. Is this a common problem on Lion?

3. Showing desktop. In SL I remember being able to swipe upwards with 4 fingers would take me to the desktop; how do I do this in Lion? It takes me to Mission Control, which is useless? Alternatively, is there a 'minimise all' shortcut?

4. App Store is insanely slow. So slow it's painful. Is this a common fault?

Thanks in advance.

2. gentlefury macrumors 68030

1. App Store purchases now go to launchpad
    2. system prefs work fine on all my macs, so its you
    3. you can go into mission control prefs and setup show desktop...mission control is FAR from useless and one of the best features to have been added to OSX in a LONG time.

3. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

1, they should get added to launch pad now, you need to add them to the dock yourself

2. unsure

3. spread with thumb and 3 fingers is default for accessing desktop, for me i set p a hot corner under mission control preferences and the hot corners option

4. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

There's no such setting. Applications go into Launchpad. To open it, pinch with 4 fingers on the trackpad.

Not happening here. Have you got any extra prefPanes installed?

Show desktop in Lion is pinch out with 4 fingers.

Not the only one. App Store is always slow here :\ Are you using Google DNS? I've heard it was the culprit for some slow Apple services.

5. lukekarts thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick responses.

Gah, well that kinda sucks. Can I uninstall Launchpad? It seems kinda cumbersome compared to just having folders laid out; much prefer when my apps went straight to the dock so I could file them without having to go searching.

Damn. I don't think I've done anything in System Preferences, it seems to have been like it from new. For what its worth, trying it now I can replicate the issue if I go into the Screensaver/Wallpaper options, it just doesn't respond then I get an error report. Apple must've had 20+ error reports, all from me.

Thank you!

I guess the App Store is just slow in Lion then. Is there an approximate timescale for Apple's fix?

6. gentlefury macrumors 68030

all you have to do is start an application and move it on the dock and it will be pinned.