Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSkier

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2008
Hey, I am really into the iPhone, and want to purchase one, but I need some clarification. I am an AT&T customer already, have been for a few years. I have family unlimited texting, so I want to know if that will carry over onto iPhone. Also, will it cost any money when activated (Such as activation fee or 2 year commitment?) besides the $20/month thing. And finally, I have seen lots of posts here and the Apple forums about iPhones breaking because of being dropped. I think I want a case.:). So, what is the best case that isn't too bulky, but protects the iphone well? Thanks in advanced to everyone. Please feel free to let me know about anything and everything about iPhone I should know about. Thanks again

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Hey, I am really into the iPhone, and want to purchase one, but I need some clarification. I am an AT&T customer already, have been for a few years. I have family unlimited texting, so I want to know if that will carry over onto iPhone. Also, will it cost any money when activated (Such as activation fee or 2 year commitment?) besides the $20/month thing. And finally, I have seen lots of posts here and the Apple forums about iPhones breaking because of being dropped. I think I want a case.:). So, what is the best case that isn't too bulky, but protects the iphone well? Thanks in advanced to everyone. Please feel free to let me know about anything and everything about iPhone I should know about. Thanks again

I think you'll have to pay for both the iPhone data plan ($20/month) and your family unlimited texting. The iPhone plan only covers 200 texts/month (or is it 500?) for that one account. I don't think I've used 10 in the month I've had mine.

There may be an $18 activation fee for the iPhone. That's one of those stupid-as-hades fees that the phone companies charge just b/c they have an excuse to. Apparently $45/month can't cover the uber-difficult process of someone spending 5 minutes setting up an account. Probably my least-favorite fee. "Welcome to the company! That'll be $18 before we start!"

Before you even open your iPhone box, get a case and a screen cover. My phone got a little ding and scratch on the side within a month because of me sitting in a recliner. Yah. The best case in my opinion is the Incase Slider. It comes in black and white and you can slide the bottom off to use the iPhone dock. For a screen cover, get the Power Support Anti-Glare film. This covers the screen and gets rid of glare. It's a static-cling cover, so it's not a big sticker like many others. You can take it off and clean it without a problem. It's a beeotch to get on perfectly, but it's a necessity. If you want the glossy look, get the crystal film. Both of these are at The Apple Store.

You should also get a car charger. I got one made by Griffin that was $20. You will probably also need one of the headphone adapters. I think mine was a Belkin that cost $10.

That's about all I can think of except for mess around with how to get the stuff you want synced on the iPhone. I have a playlist system that I use for TV shows and music since I'm much more limited than with the 30GB iPod. But you end up getting used to it and not really missing much. All the stuff you get extra with an iPhone makes up for the lost space.

MXChristian11

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2008
San Diego, CA
Your unlimited family texting does not count for your iPhone. For the texting there are 3 data plans. all include unlimited internet, etc.. For 200 texts a month, it'll run you 20$. For 1500 texts it runs at 30$ and for unlimited its 40$. Remember these data plans include your web browsing and visual voicemail, so you have to get one. Second, there is a 2 yr requirement.
heres a link including all current iPhone plans: http://www.apple.com/iphone/easysetup/rateplans.html

And about your case, for maximum protection that doesn't add the bulkiness, try the incase slider. i have this case and i love it. heres a link
http://goincase.com/products/detail/slider-case-cl59031

hope this helps.

iSkier

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2008
Thanks

Thanks, I have heard from other forums that the unlimited texting will carry over to the iphone plan, but I may be mistaken. I don't understand why it won't.

iSkier

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2008
okay

okay, I will call soon. Thanks. And why does the incase have to cost so much???? :mad:

BullittMustang

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2008
The unlimited family texting will aplly to the iPhone. If you use up your 200 for the iPhone you can then dip into your family texting without being charged any extra. The AT&T rep told me this started about a month ago.

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
The unlimited family texting plan DOES apply to the iPhone.
I have an iPhone on a family plan using it.

And you are required to a two-year commitment from when you activate the phone.

MXChristian11

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2008
San Diego, CA
okay, I will call soon. Thanks. And why does the incase have to cost so much???? :mad:

because it is a great case!!

why does the iPhone have to cost so much??...because it is an awesome innovative piece of equipment. trust me, it'll be worth it. would you rather spend the 34.99 on a case that would protect your investment...or just drop it and ruin it period.
Its worth it!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.