A few questions about iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sensamic, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Sensamic macrumors 68030

Hey everyone.

Trying to decide whether to buy a 6S Plus or not. A few questions:

1. Is it possible to download YouTube videos and torrents directly from the phone?

2. How does third party keyboards work overall? Good? I use Swype mainly in Android. Is it fluid?

3. Are widgets in the notification panel really as useful as on Android?

Thanks.

2. BentTable123 macrumors member

1. No, but possible with rooting.

2. They don't work in every app and they generally lag compared to the standard keyboard. Most people uninstall them because of this. Swipe works okay, but the font on the keyboard looks terrible compared to the apple keyboard, I can't get used to it.

3. Widgets are not very useful. Because you have to swipe down, then choose widgets, it's almost faster to open the app. Unlike android, you can't put widgets directly on the homescreen.

3. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

You don't have to choose them each time you open notification center. Setup the widgets you want to see, and there's always there when you swipe down.

I don't know what Android widgets can do, but on iOS it's mainly information from apps you've installed, or things like shortcuts to apps or specific actions.

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

1. Yes, possible, but not stock. Takes some time and expertise.
    2. They're fine.
    3. No, they're not they're useful, but not as much so as Android.

5. Sensamic thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks everyone! So third party keyboards don't work in all apps?

6. Aditya_S macrumors 6502

For me 3rd party keyboards work all the time, but I haven't used every app, so there may be some apps that don't support them. The only widget I use is Pcalc lite which puts a calculator in the Notification Center and it shows up first. There are some pretty useful ones like Launcher which allows you to make shortcuts to apps, directly call or text someone, or get into a submenu in Settings and other apps.

7. willmtaylor, Apr 9, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2016

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

They worked all of the time and with every app for me, but there was a bit of latency/lag when using them; they weren't as fluid and responsive as the stock keyboard. Additionally, I tired of constantly switching back and forth.

Perhaps I didn't give them/myself enough of a chance, but I'm quick enough on the stock keyboard, so that's all I use now.

8. Sensamic thread starter macrumors 68030

I heard about the third party keyboards lag, but never heard that they might not work within all apps. I thought it was system wide.

Thanks everyone for the help.

9. Sensamic thread starter macrumors 68030

Guys. Two more questions.

1. With the new share feature introduced in iOS 8 or 9 (don't remember which), can you share anything to apps like Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive and MEGA? Previously, in iOS, I remember you could only upload pictures and videos to the cloud from within those specific apps, while on Android you can upload any type of file (PDF, Word document, mp3 file, etc). Is this possible on iOS now with the new share options? Does it work just like on Android?

2. ¿Does the 6S Plus feel uncomfortable and heavy to use during long periods of time? ¿Does it feel heavy after playing a game for 30 minutes for example?

Thanks.

10. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

I know this is an old topic but still wanna answer this.

1. You can share to apps I believe. If I click Share button on a picture, it gives me the option to select an app I want to put it in.

2.6S is awful without a case, it just barely has a grip. I wouldn't recommend it without a case or some form of border on it.