A few questions about jailbreaking/tethering/

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by samcraig, Apr 7, 2010.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

I'm on 3.1.2 (not 3.1.3) on my iPhone 3gs.

Was thinking of going to http://www.benm.at/ and installing the revised carrier file (I'm in the US). Some questions...

a) Does this work for 3.1.2 and NOT kill MMS/Wifi (in other words, is the carrier file now available "foolproof"

b) I understand if I upgrade to 3.1.3, I will lose the carrier file? And OS 4.0 is around the corner. My needs for tethering would only be for a month while I travel. So when/if I update to 3.1.3/4.0 - will my phone be back to "spec" as per Apple (I won't have an issue updating and my carrier file will return to the official one?

Other option was to jailbreak. Which makes me then have a similar question - can I jailbreak now and then update to a later OS and have everything back to normal?

Thanks

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Even if you install that benm hack it will not work on a stock 3.1.2
    Only way to tether is to JB and then theres a bunch of different ways to enable tethering.
    And yes you can update or restore any time you want to stock firmware without any probs.

3. phrint macrumors 6502

The unlock is typically what causes issues with MMS/VVM/push. I, fortunately, did not end up having any of those issues with blacksn0w RC2 which is an updated unlock from blacksn0w. I've heard of issues with benm but check out the better tethering solution below.

The tethering hack from peaceful insanity will work on 3.1.2. Enter this link on your iphone in Safari and install the file. It works brilliantly and much better than the benm hack.

http://m.peacefulinsanity.com/Tether.mobileconfig

4. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

So I can go to blackrain and execute the jailbreak. Say in June/July 4.0 comes out... I can just hook up my 3gs and click "update" and all will be ok? I know that I'll lose the jailbreak - but I'll get 4.0 as if I never used blackrain?

Also - if I jailbreak - can I still download apps from the appstore?

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, and yes :)

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Use redsn0w, not blackra1n.

Welcome back. Haven't seen you on here for awhile.

7. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Why is that aggie - and what's the difference?

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Redsnow is a better JB and bug free tool.
    It takes a few minutes and its not a single 1 click solution but well worth it IMO.