A few questions about jailbreaking.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ElfinHilon, May 20, 2012.

1. ElfinHilon macrumors newbie

Hello everyone. I used to have a second gen ipod touch a loooong time ago, that I jailbroke, and hated. I am currently in the process of getting the iphone, and I have a few questions about jailbreaking, since it's been absolutely forever since I last did it.

1. What benefits do you get from jailbreaking an iPhone, aside from free apps? I know certain customization (such a background or being able to have the 5 apps on your dock), but could anyone show me a video or explain to me the possibilities to customization? Say, could I get widgets if I wanted?

2. Is it still possible to "brick" your iPhone through jailbreaking? From what I understand, this isn't possible any more, as you can always just restore it through DFU mode.

3. Does jailbreaking your iPhone still make horribly slow? All the of the devices I have jailbroken (2nd gen ipod touch and iphone 3gs) have been just atrociously slow. Does that still happen?

4. How is easy is it to jailbreak? I know the new jailbreak is coming out in a few days, but is it a simple process to jailbreak?

Thanks for reading! Looking forward to the help!

2. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Hi and I've gotta say your about to start an amazing journey into a new dimension from your iPhone.........

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

my advice is learn and read before you jailbreak this can only benefit you. Plenty of tutorials out there iclarified is one of the best. YouTube has tons of video's how to fix this or that and the best tweaks. There are jailbreak wiki.s to get you started. And almost any question can be answered by searching.

4. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Read up on it yourself (I'm sure there may be an "app for that". Apps aren't free unless you pirate them - and if you do that, you're an ass.)

Read up on it yourself - It is still possible in some rare cases, but HIGHLY unlikely. You would have to by TRYING to brick it, and even then, you'd have to get "lucky". Some bugs like recovery loops still happen, but can typically be fixed with JB tools/hard resets

Read up on it yourself - and No, it doesn't

Read up on it yourself - and pretty effing easy

For god sakes, man - search some first.

Look around here, and on iClarified.com for tutoruials.

5. ElfinHilon thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm asking questions that would be far easier to search for. If you don't feel like helping, why are you even commenting this?

6. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

So you realize you're asking simple questions you should search for, yet you hassle me when I give you answers as a handout anyway? Nice... Welcome to the forum, dude.

7. MastahRiz macrumors 6502

Unfortunately this is one of many common attitudes on the forum. Most members will seize an opportunity to tell another to search the forum instead of just answering their questions. Occasionally a newbie will get pointed in the right direction but the other half of the time the members who complain about forums being cluttered and new users not searching the forum properly are adding to the problem by replying to those very threads. To make things worse, searching an extensive forum such as this one yields 10,000 results, many of which are outdated due to new iOS versions or new jailbreak and unlock tools.

This isn't to say don't search the forum, but the search function works best when you already have an idea of what you want. If I want to look up information on "lightsaber app", I'll find more concise info than if I search for "Common jailbreak questions."

To answer your questions:

1. Yes, you can get widgets and other cool customizations.

2. No, you cannot brick your iPhone unless you try doing some really, really obscure stuff such as stuffing an iPad baseband down your 3GS's throat.

3. No

4. Very easy, and as soon as there's a new release, there will be a tutorial to go with it at: http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

Here's a quick video I made to help you out. Hope it's useful and perhaps I'll add more tweaks to this thing in the future. It's short, and just includes demos of Activator, Backboard, and AskToCall.

http://youtu.be/uSi2-wFaj8k

Welcome to the forum!

8. ElfinHilon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much. This is what I was looking for.

As you said, I do know what you can actually do with a jailbreak nowadays, so I would not know what to search for.

Though I did see this... "tweak"(?) for a jailbroken iPhone I believe. It worked similarly to how android has the pull-down menu, but there was more to it. I can't remember the name, and in the video it had an asian dude and some white guy. Both looked young. Anyone know the name of the tweak? I want to find that again!

9. MastahRiz macrumors 6502

10. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Members sometimes forget they were new to all this too. One can search on the net and here for most answers to their questions, but also sometimes one needs some reassurance on that info.

Now that you have the beginnings of your answers please enjoy the journey ahead of you.

11. ElfinHilon thread starter macrumors newbie

No.. that wasn't it.. Damn. I wish I could remember what it was. Thanks for the help though!

I guess I'll just try googling best iPhone jailbreak... hacks? Tweaks? What do I call them so I know when I do my own research. XD

12. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Are you looking for IntelliScreenX or LockInfo?

13. batting1000 macrumors 604

Getting paid apps for free is illegal (unless of course the dev makes the app free). It's called piracy.

14. ElfinHilon thread starter macrumors newbie

YEAH! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTGd_3CnMOE

That was it! Thanks a bunch!!

EDIT: Yes. Just because I want to jailbreak my phone, assume I want free apps. That's the best way to go.

15. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Lock info is an awesome tweak which is one I use very regularly. Certainly makes using and accessing your phone a lot easier !

16. ElfinHilon thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I'll have to look into that one. Is there a really good video out there somewhere that details everything about it?

17. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I follow mygreatiphone.com who give good reviews and videos.

YouTube is a good source too.

18. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Any time friend! I use Lockinfo but people rave about IntelliScreenX. But I've been using Lockinfo forever. Ever since David Asham (LI dev) made it so that any notification center tweak or addon can be used with Lockinfo, I never thought twice about switching. I was very tempted to switch to IntelliScreenX but the Lockinfo developer made that critical update. They both offer free trial periods. Give them both a try!

Oh and Youtube is a great place for video reviews of these two apps but you can find some decent written reviews too. Oh and as another piece of advice, look for reviews in 2012 since both these apps have gone through some pretty big changes over time. The more recent review you can find the better educated you'll be before making a purchase! If you have any questions about Lockinfo feel free to ask. I love that app. It's one of my "staples" that I install the second I jailbreak my phone.

Good luck and enjoy!

19. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

David Ashman

20. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Whoops! Haha I'm on the east coast still on my first cup of coffee. It's too early for my spell checking skills to be in top gear haha. Thanks for catching that.

As an aside, if a developer uses his real name publicly, are we allowed to reference it here in the forum? I don't want to break any rules.