A few questions about Mac Mini.

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by intempo808, Jan 1, 2009.

1. intempo808 macrumors regular

Hey,
    I'm getting a Mac Mini fairly soon (providing the price doesn't go up), and I have a few questions:
    1. At the moment, I have a normal Windows XP PC, and I want to buy the Apple Keyboard and Mouse now to cut down costs later when I buy the actual Mac. Will the keyboard and mouse work on Windows XP without any dodgey software?
    2. I have a set of really good speakers and I use on my PC, however, they have a funny connection with has a plug in the back and on the front, on of which goes into the PC and another which allows power to flow through into that connector and then on in the PC to provide the PC and speakers with power. Will I still be able to use this with the power pack that comes with the Mac Mini?

Also, will I need any anti-virus software of spyware stuff?

2. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

1) You will need to install drivers
    2) Hm, don't think so. Check the manufacturers' information...

... and for the final question, see my signature:rolleyes::p

Oh and I take it you are waiting to see if new models are released?

3. intempo808 thread starter macrumors regular

Indeed I am. If that price goes up, Apple will have lost me as a Mac customer forever, as this will be my switch over from PC to Mac.

Thanks for your help :D

4. stukdog macrumors 6502

Sounds drastic.;)

If the new ones cost more, check Amazon for the old one. The price will have gone down and it's still a good machine.

5. intempo808 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeahh, I can pick one up on there at the moment new for about £370ish, so either way I'll get one, I'm not bothered about whether its the new model or not, but obviously it would be nicer to have it where possible!
    :cool:

6. HaiRy macrumors newbie

If you're going for the wireless version then don't buy them seperately, you're looking at around £90 if you buy them now, whereas if you buy it with the Mac Mini, currenlty you can get them for £68 which seems like a worthwhile saving to me!

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Get the wireless [bluetooth] Apple aluminum keyboard and wireless mighty mouse. You'll thank me later since the Mac Mini doesn't have many USB ports. Oh, and don't listen to ppl who whine/groan/moan about the mighty mouse on these forums. I've been using the mighty mouse and Apple aluminum wireless keyboard combo for nearly half a year. Not a single glitch. And they both will work on PC, but only if you have bluetooth for the wireless versions. USB "wired" versions will work no problem. Only the special function media keys (F1-F12) will only work as regular, generic F "X" keys. Stuff like brightness, fast forward, volume up/down, etc will not work.

8. ADent macrumors 6502a

Why the Apple hardware?

I can't stand the Apple stuff and am currently using Microsoft KB & Mouse.

9. intempo808 thread starter macrumors regular

It looks good lol :D

10. gjw4u macrumors 6502

OP, if you decide to go for the wireless (BT) Apple KB, and MM, you might save on a USB port, but with the BT KB you also lose the number pad on the right-side, compared to the standard KB.

11. intempo808 thread starter macrumors regular

Oooh, I didn't know that, thanks :D

I'll probably get the wired one, it's cheaper, looks good and I can plug the mouse into the keyboard, so I've heard, so it'll only really use one USB on the Mac Mini :D

Thanks everyoneeee :D

12. rs13 macrumors member

i originally had the wired mouse and keyboard and i use that on my pc no problems at all, but i had to go wireless i hate wires lol

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member